Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 2016 hop growning season  (Read 10888 times)

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
Re: 2016 hop growning season
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2016, 06:04:48 am »
Rhizomes are usually dug when they're dormant and kept refrigerated to help hold them back.  If that's what you're planting, as soon as you can work the soil is a good time to get them in the ground.  Once it begins to warm up, they'll start poking.  In your first year you should let everything grow as the more foliage it can produce, the more food it can produce  to help build a strong root system and crown.  Once they're established they'll generally produce many more shoots than you'll need  so folks thin them out.

Excellent advice.  Thank you!

Offline muzak

• Cellarman
  • Rialto, California
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2016, 08:29:20 am »
I recently moved into a new home and the backyard is a mess. Just completely covered in weeds. So seeing as the weather is already nice, I decided to plant my rhizomes in half barrels until I can tame the yard. I opted for Cascade and Columbus, as those seem to survive the heat, according to feedback from home brewers in the area.

I decided to go with a soil mix as opposed to straight potting soil. I did 60% native sandy soil, 30% bagged garden soil and 10% Fertilizer. This way I can easily transplant it next season, and it will be accustomed to the native soil.

This is my first time growing hops, so I'm pretty excited.
John L.
---
Planning: Simcoe SMaSH
Bubbling:
Drinking: Saison, Amber Ale, APA, American Strong Ale

Offline micsager

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2016, 04:17:59 pm »
I recently moved into a new home and the backyard is a mess. Just completely covered in weeds. So seeing as the weather is already nice, I decided to plant my rhizomes in half barrels until I can tame the yard. I opted for Cascade and Columbus, as those seem to survive the heat, according to feedback from home brewers in the area.

I decided to go with a soil mix as opposed to straight potting soil. I did 60% native sandy soil, 30% bagged garden soil and 10% Fertilizer. This way I can easily transplant it next season, and it will be accustomed to the native soil.

This is my first time growing hops, so I'm pretty excited.

It's fun to grow your hops.  I think you should stick to the barrels.  the barrels contain them well, although you do have to trim the crown every other year or so.  Your soil mix will be fine.  Not sure where Rialto is, but just have fun with them.  We just consider them ornamental.  And in Northwest Washington state, ours are bout 5 feet tall.  Now it's time to thin them a bit, and get rid of the lower leaves.

narvin

« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2016, 05:17:02 pm »
+1

I'm growing them in an old trash can with all the leftover dirt from a few years of potted plants.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2016, 04:00:30 am »
I've grown mine in large pots with decent success. My biggest issue is that hops are finicky about water. They need a lot of it, but they don't tolerate overwatering particularly well. Your soil mix should be ok in a large container like a half-barrel, but I prefer a moisture-control potting soil in my pots (which are a bit smaller than barrels).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

narvin

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2016, 10:03:06 am »
Pretty happy so far.  Lots of dirt and some drip irrigation help when the summer becomes sweltering.

Offline muzak

• Cellarman
  • Rialto, California
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2016, 08:42:55 am »
I've grown mine in large pots with decent success. My biggest issue is that hops are finicky about water. They need a lot of it, but they don't tolerate overwatering particularly well.

This was my problem the first time I attempted it years ago. I think I over watered them.
John L.
---
Bubbling:

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2016, 02:08:37 pm »
I've grown mine in large pots with decent success. My biggest issue is that hops are finicky about water. They need a lot of it, but they don't tolerate overwatering particularly well.

This was my problem the first time I attempted it years ago. I think I over watered them.
Same here.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2016, 09:30:57 am »
Spider mites are particularly bad this year. Sucking the plants dry faster than I can treat them. I was gone for a week and a half with no problems when I left and a full fledged invasion when I came back.  >:(
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #39 on: May 11, 2016, 07:37:31 am »
My hops are hanging in there so far this year. Last year was a really wet summer, and that did a number on my hops. The cascades were the hardest hit and barely grew at all. My willamette grew fine, but never produced cones.

Since they're mostly decorative, I got rid of the cascades and split my willamettes up to use in the old cascade pots. Even after almost three weeks of rain they still look healthy.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline muzak

• Cellarman
  • Rialto, California
« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2016, 09:28:02 am »
I moved my potted hops over near the old clothesline poles in my backyard. I already installed eye bolts on the pots, now I just gotta string up twine before the hops really start growing. The Columbus are already at around 5 inches, the Cascades are still just tiny buds.
John L.
---
Bubbling: