Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Favorite Bottles?  (Read 5164 times)

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Favorite Bottles?
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2016, 02:20:17 pm »
For shape, I like the Anchor bottles. They have a classic feel. Sierra Nevada stubbies are nice but they don't fit well in normal cases and 6 holders.

For a while, when I needed a bunch of bottles, my buying decisions on beer were heavily influenced on ease of label removal. Sierra Nevada is good for that as well.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2016, 02:22:44 pm »
Didn't Anchor switch to twist-offs?  Or did they switch back?

I haven't bought any in ages.  Well, that's not true, I have a bunch in cans.  Not my favorite beer.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 02:24:12 pm »
I like Guinness Extra Stout bottles.  12oz and pint.

+1. Yeah it's harder to pour and leave the sediment behind, but I like the oldschool shape.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

RPIScotty

« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 05:25:22 pm »
I've been saving my Fullers bottles along with my Trappist bottles lately. I probably have 4 cases of Chimay, Rochefort, Westmalle and Orval bottles at this point and maybe a six pack of fullers empties.   

Offline Frankenbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2016, 05:31:03 pm »
I like the Grolsch bottles and any swing tops I can get. I still have a couple dozen of them when they were brown. They must be 30 years old or more. I almost never bottle anymore except from the keg, and the swing tops make bottling from the keg easy.
Frank C.

And thereof comes the proverb: 'Blessing of your
heart, you brew good ale.'

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2016, 05:35:44 pm »
Orval.
Ralph R.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2016, 05:46:46 pm »
I like the Grolsch bottles and any swing tops I can get. I still have a couple dozen of them when they were brown. They must be 30 years old or more. I almost never bottle anymore except from the keg, and the swing tops make bottling from the keg easy.

If got some of those, too.  Haven't used them in awhile.  The old brown ones are cool.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

Favorite Bottles?
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2016, 06:15:58 pm »
Her's

Honestly I'm more of a Samantha guy.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 06:21:17 pm by Stevie »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2016, 06:17:04 pm »
That's just plain awesome. Wish I'd thought of it.
Jon H.

Offline FaradayUncaged

• Cellarman
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2016, 12:38:43 pm »
When bottling I use as many from Founder's as possible.  I like the short and stout 12 oz bottles, and the labels are really easy to peal in a short hot water soak.

Granted, the newer bottles from them have the raised brewery name embossed in them which doesn't leave them 'bare'.  Luckily I have plenty of the old style on hand for the occasional bottling.

Offline amichuda

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 11:37:48 am »
For bottle conditioning belgian style beers you can't beat the Duvel style bottles. I like the Fuller's bottles too.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2016, 12:05:44 pm »
For me, as I drink almost all of my homebrew, I dont care about labels or the lack thereof. My bottles are 90+% Stone Brewing co bottles, both bombers and 12 oz. No desire to make labels and I think their bottles just look good. I also dont enter comps, at least not yet, so no concern there either. Just my personal opinion, as I did not want 50-200 beers floating around the house in various stages in plain naked bottles
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2016, 12:08:04 pm »
I love bottles where I already removed the labels.  Otherwise I love the ones where the labels slide right off as soon as they get a little bit wet.  ;)

Cheers.

Not sure I have a shape preference to be honest, although the tapered neck on Lagunita's bombers is pretty cool.  I choose a lot of mine based on label removal ease. 

Here in Oregon I buy Deschutes and a soak in the sink of hot water and the labels quite literally float off.  I'm about to go buy one of the new six packs of Armory XPA.  Great beer and I need bottles.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2016, 12:31:05 pm »
I built up a good stash of Samuel Smiths Bottles.  There was a steady flow of Oatmeal Stout, Taddy Porter, Nut Brown Ale, and Organic Chocolate stout going through the house at the time.  Other than that I have grown to like New Belgian bottles because the labels slip off pretty well.  Oh and the Guinness Draught bottles have plastic wraps that are amazingly easy to zip off with a razor!  Label peeling is my LEAST favorite job of collecting beer bottles for homebrew.  I know I should have probably bought some, but I try to be practical at every turn.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

RPIScotty

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2016, 12:35:35 pm »
I built up a good stash of Samuel Smiths Bottles.  There was a steady flow of Oatmeal Stout, Taddy Porter, Nut Brown Ale, and Organic Chocolate stout going through the house at the time.  Other than that I have grown to like New Belgian bottles because the labels slip off pretty well.  Oh and the Guinness Draught bottles have plastic wraps that are amazingly easy to zip off with a razor!  Label peeling is my LEAST favorite job of collecting beer bottles for homebrew.  I know I should have probably bought some, but I try to be practical at every turn.

I've been trying to save 12 each of Sam Smiths and Fullers. I'm pretty close.