Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Bittering Hops: High vs. Low Cohumulone | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 3942 times)

Offline brulosopher

• Brewmaster
  • They who drink beer will think beer
    • Brülosophy
Re: Bittering Hops: High vs. Low Cohumulone | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2016, 01:40:39 pm »

Thanks for another great xBmt, Marshall! When I do batches of single-hop trials, I definitely notice a difference in the quality of bitterness between the different hops. It would be interesting to go back to some of my tasting notes and see if the CoH levels line up with my experience.

I wonder if this has any bearing on why beers with no bittering addition (i.e., all IBU's from the whirlpool) seem to have a smoother bitterness than those with a traditional 60-minute addition. It could be just hop choice coming into play, but maybe less iso-CoH is produced by that technique. Every time I see one of these experiments it makes me wish I had a GC/MS in my garage to help answer the myriad of other questions it seems to lead to.

Given the narrow margin of significance on this one, I'd say this would be a good candidate for an IGOR followup, to see if a bigger sample size will result in a clearer conclusion.

I so hope D&D have their IGORs redo this one! I definitely plan to continue playing with it. I only wish there was a better way to get differing CoH levels without using different hops. Hmm.

Maybe all 3 of us should put our heads together and see if there's a better way to do this.
I wish I could find it, but someone a couple weeks ago emailed me a link to purchase actual CoH... or something like that. I feel like that's really the best way to get where we want to go. Heads together, indeed!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2016, 01:44:08 pm »
Maybe all 3 of us should put our heads together and see if there's a better way to do this.

I sense an inevitable establishment of either a merger or a mutual respect society of some sort.

Another part of me wishes James Spencer and/or Chris Colby would also jump on board somewheres.  It would be like a non-holy non-trinity at that point... mega nerdy pragmatic awesomeness... jolly good and which no one could deny.

We've already got the mutual respect society.  That's why we ask Marshall to come on the podcasts to comment on our experiments.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 01:48:31 pm »
I'll drink to that.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2016, 08:30:38 pm »
My thought is that repeat testing should use a variety of hops that have high and low cohumulone levels, this way a trend would tend to point towards cohumulone as the likely difference. If you use the same two hops repeatedly, then the results could be from some other difference between the two.

I think you'd want enough bitterness to be able to detect a difference if there is one, but otherwise as small of a hop addition as possible to minimize other flavor contributions. In other words, high alpha but low oil content would be the ideal hop selection for this.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 01:47:48 am »
The Rigby paper referenced in the Brulosophy article says cohumulone is isomerized at a faster rate than humulone, so the difference might simply be that high cohumulone hops end up giving a higher final IBU level, even if AA levels start the same.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2016, 05:39:22 am »
So much for my usual thoughts that a bittering addition is a bittering addition is a bittering addition (and yes, I use Magnum for most bittering additions - except IPA's where I'll wander to the west side of the aisle).

Keep up the good work, though.  I'm not lost yet - but we are getting close to where my "flat earth-like" theory regarding hops runs out....
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2016, 03:57:11 pm »
When people tell me they use Magnum for those, I kinda wonder why.

Me too. If not chinook, simcoe or apollo are good choices.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women