Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Burner performance  (Read 2189 times)

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Burner performance
« on: March 07, 2016, 12:44:08 pm »
     My last 2 brew days I have had a reduced amount of boiloff in the kettle. Yesterday, I saw the same problem and tried to investigate carefully in the middle of the boil. I have a bayou classic burner like this http://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-Single-Burner-Patio/dp/B0009JXYQ4/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1457379522&sr=1-2&keywords=bayou+classic
     It was a coolish day, so the first thing I did was to place my propane tank into a tub of water, as I have heard some say the tank can start to freeze up, which I was hoping would get it going better. that did not solve the problem. I then started playing around with my air mix valve, and saw no change in my flame. Next onto my regulator. Think this is the problem, from just on until fully open, the setting on the regulator seemed to have no affect on flame height, color, or intensity.
    Taking all this into account, do I have a bad regulator, what can I do to remedy, or is it possibly a dirty burner? the burner had a nice solid blue flame as usual, but playing with the regulator just never made the flame start jumping off the burner, or any real change.
     Anyone have any thoughts on a solution or better trouble shooting now that I dont have 8 gallons of boiling wort sitting on top of the burner?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 02:28:53 pm by 69franx »
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
Re: Burner performance
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 01:37:28 pm »
Was your tank closer to full or empty? I had trouble with mine yesterday and I believe it was because the tank was probably about 1/8. It would put out a bit faster if I gently shook it. I think the problem for me was low tank + cold.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 02:08:10 pm »
I've got the same burner, and have never seen what you describe.

I'd try it with a known fresh tank, if you can't get the flames jumping off the burner after that I'd suspect the regulator.

FWIW though, I plan on upgrading to a better burner ASAP. This one just doesn't put out the BTUs to heat up that much liquid fast enough IMO. It's great for use with a wok though, I cook Thai on it all the time.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Stevie

Burner performance
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 02:16:38 pm »
Plenty of possible causes. Beyond those above:
1 - spiderwebs in the burner
2 - tripped leak check valve that won't reset. Can be caused by a leak, opening tank too quickly, bad regulator.
3 - clogged orifice
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 04:08:58 pm by Stevie »

Offline 69franx

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 02:23:11 pm »
    Yeah, I had suspected low tank in the past but this was a brand new fill. I'll have to check out the burner more closely now that I am able to, was not in a big hurry at the end of my brew day to check that out. I do agree that its a bit small now that I am all grain and full boil with the occasional 10 gallon batch. Thanks all, and keep posting if anyone else has thoughts.
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 03:33:26 pm »
Stevie may be on to something with the tripped leak detect. I seem to remember the burner coming with a warning about the trip detect being pretty sensitive, and it had directions on how to reset it.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 04:12:01 pm »
Good to know, guess I'm heading to the google!
Frank L.

Offline jrcrilly

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 01:48:58 am »
Turn off the tank valve, disconnect the regulator from the tank, reconnect the regulator to the tank. That resets it. Rurn the tank valve back on. Now remember to turn up the regulator slowly each time; turning it up too quickly is what trips it.

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 04:01:40 am »
I had a defective regulator from bayou on a KAB4.  It would trip as soon as gas started flowing.  It wouldn't stay little at all when tripped.  I guess yours could be stuck partially tripped.  I seem to remember reading frequently that their regulators were not very good quality. They sent me a new one and it works fine... for now.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 09:28:50 am »
It seems obvious, so I almost don't want to say it but, have you looked for scale around the ports?

I've had some in the spring before where the rust flakes and limits the gas flow.  I used a wire brush & banged the burner to shake loose material.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline 69franx

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 09:32:25 am »
I have, but not in depth. I think it's time for a good scrubbing and check the reset on the regulator. I think I may not have been closing it when done, which would leave it wide open upon restarting, possibly tripping that sensor
Frank L.

Offline 69franx

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 05:10:27 pm »
Thanks for all the help folks. Disconnected and made sure reg was off, reconnected and all is well!. Think I stopped turning off the reg when I found a flame height and quality I liked. Stupid mistake I should not have been making almost 3 years into this
Frank L.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 05:12:01 pm »
Woo-hoo!

Offline 69franx

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 05:25:47 pm »
Exactly. Back in business!
Well hobby business at least
Frank L.