Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: My mash in and batch sparge process  (Read 8039 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: My mash in and batch sparge process
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2016, 10:16:06 am »
Denny, what's the gap on your mill?

I woefully undershot my target pre-boil gravity today, first time being careful to try and collect data with the new cooler tun. I'm hoping all I need to do is crush finer.

I have no idea...I've never measured it because i don't care.  I'm making grist, not gaps, and I adjust by what the grist looks like.  I just closed the rollers on my JSP adjustable as far as they would go, then opened it a hair until I just saw them move.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2016, 10:16:34 am »
I think Denny can be quoted as saying, "crush until you're scared."

THIS^^^^^

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2016, 10:18:23 am »
I missed that vorlauf test, but based on hundreds of batches of experience, I don't believe it.

Link below. The experiment was meant to test whether skipping vorlauf causes astringency (there was no difference). Effect on clarity was unexpected.

Wort:

Beer:

http://brulosophy.com/2016/02/22/the-vorlauf-effect-pt-1-does-it-make-a-difference-exbeeriment-results/

"the non-vorlauf batch was left alone while the other batch had approximately 9 gallons of sweet wort pulled from the bottom of the tun and gently placed back on top of the mash."

I think the most I've ever used for a vorlauf is about 1 gallon. 9 gallons seems very unusual.

I daresay that I've experimented with this a lot more than that single test and I've never found it to make a difference.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2016, 12:46:17 pm »
I have admit that I found that particular experiment questionable. Those two beers in the photo I posted had been lagered and fined, yet they're both still opaque. Clearly some problems with technique.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #49 on: March 13, 2016, 12:51:54 pm »
I have admit that I found that particular experiment questionable. Those two beers in the photo I posted had been lagered and fined, yet they're both still opaque. Clearly some problems with technique.

Something is weird, for sure.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2016, 05:22:33 am »
I have no idea...I've never measured it because i don't care.  I'm making grist, not gaps, and I adjust by what the grist looks like.  I just closed the rollers on my JSP adjustable as far as they would go, then opened it a hair until I just saw them move.

Is closed "as far as they would go" touching? Or is there a stop at an unknown, but small, gap?
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

RPIScotty

« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2016, 07:05:30 am »
Great video Denny. It's always nice to be a fly on the wall in a brewery you admire.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2016, 03:07:28 pm »
FYI, I just tried that gap setting method with my monster mill 3.

Damn near broke my wrist trying to hold the drill when the whole thing locked up. Evidently that's not the approach to take on my system.

Maybe I should have been more scared.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2016, 03:28:03 pm »
FYI, I just tried that gap setting method with my monster mill 3.

Damn near broke my wrist trying to hold the drill when the whole thing locked up. Evidently that's not the approach to take on my system.

Maybe I should have been more scared.

Not too surprised since it's a different mill!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2016, 06:54:03 pm »
Hey, it was worth a shot!

Just let this be a heads up to other folks-Don't be like me. Use some common sense!