Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: jockey box question...  (Read 6113 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
jockey box question...
« on: June 23, 2010, 11:38:40 am »
Just got a box off Ebay, looks great, but wondering if a stepdown from maybe 3/8" to 1/4" tubing is normal? It's somewhere in the neighborhood of 90' of stainless coil. Maybe the last 20' is tiny - anyone know why? Also assuming 15psi normal serving pressure how much do you ramp up PSI for the jockey box?
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline skee1080

• 1st Kit
Re: jockey box question...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 01:02:32 pm »
According to the Brewers Associations Draught Beer Quality Manual, for jockey boxes, "Set CO2 pressure to 35 to 40 psi on 120 ft. coils.  Shorter coils are not recommended, but if used, should dispense at 30 – 35 psi."

I have a 3 tap jockey box I built with 50 ft. coils--I only used it once so far and the pressure was definitely too low at 15 psi.  I'm using it again in 2 weeks and plan to follow the recommendations above then.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 02:52:55 pm »
I found the site where this one is sold, Rapidswholesale. May be 100 foot + 20' of quarter inch "CHOKE". Not sure what the point of that is. Still researching.

Offline skee1080

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 02:59:34 pm »
Take a look at the Draft Beer Quality Manual I mentioned above: http://www.draughtquality.org/f/DBQM_Full.pdf

It has stuff in there about chokers as well.  Basicaly they provide resistance and balance the system.  Good draught beer (whether from a jockey box, kegerator, etc.) is all about balancing your system (pressure, beer line length, temperature are the major players).

I printed the manual out at home.  I have a three different ways to serve kegged homebrew (kegerator, jockey box, and a small portable kegerator) and it's a great resource.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 05:10:34 pm »
Cool, thanks for the link!