Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: fruity flavors from 34/70  (Read 3695 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
fruity flavors from 34/70
« on: March 07, 2016, 06:20:53 pm »
Even though I controlled ferm temp at 53°F I ended up with some pretty fruity flavors in my Dunkel that I was not expecting.  It's an otherwise clean, clear beer... just more fruity than I prefer.  What has been your experience with 34/70? 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: fruity flavors from 34/70
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 06:38:14 pm »
Nope. Clean as a whistle side by side against 2124. Are you using heavy munich malt grist with lots of dark munich II? That can often lead to a "grape" character.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 06:45:43 pm »
Crap.  I used the Northern Brewer Bavarian Dunkel recipe:

4.5 lb Vienna
4.5 lb Munich
.5 lb Dark Munich
.5 lb Caramel 80
.125 lb Carafe III

It's a really nice looking beer -- a beautiful deep garnet color but just too fruity.

BTW -- congrats on the ribbon cutting.  I wanted to stop by but got out of work later than I wanted so headed on home.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 06:48:25 pm by BrewBama »

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 06:57:39 pm »
What temp did you pitch the yeast at?  How much yeast did you pitch? If you didn't pitch cold then you could have ended up with some extra esters produced during the growth phase of your fermentation. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 07:06:20 pm »

4.5 lb Vienna
4.5 lb Munich
.5 lb Dark Munich
.5 lb Caramel 80
.125 lb Carafe III

It's a really nice looking beer -- a beautiful deep garnet color but just too fruity.

BTW -- congrats on the ribbon cutting.  I wanted to stop by but got out of work later than I wanted so headed on home.

Do you know what brand of Muncih it was? Recipe looks fine. But is is a grape character? Just curious.

Sorry I missed you stop In For a beer soon! I'll even buy!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2016, 07:07:02 pm »
+1 to Brewinhard questions

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2016, 08:41:16 pm »
I use 34/70 quite a bit and have never gotten one bit of fruitiness out of it, regardless of whether I've fermented at 45F or 58F. I've even underpitched a doppelbock with no ill effects. It is rock-solid dependable to me. It is the US-05 of lager yeast.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 04:43:18 am »
What temp did you pitch the yeast at?  How much yeast did you pitch? If you didn't pitch cold then you could have ended up with some extra esters produced during the growth phase of your fermentation.
I believe I pitched mid 60(s). I know I pitched two packs. I will ensure to pitch at firm temp next brew. I read to pitch high then lower to get a good start. Live and learn. Thanks folks!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 05:04:40 am »

4.5 lb Vienna
4.5 lb Munich
.5 lb Dark Munich
.5 lb Caramel 80
.125 lb Carafe III

Do you know what brand of Muncih it was? Recipe looks fine. But is is a grape character? Just curious.

Sorry I missed you stop In For a beer soon! I'll even buy!
I looked for my order but can't find it. I am sure it was Weyermann but can't prove it (to myself).

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 06:36:20 am »
I believe I pitched mid 60(s). I know I pitched two packs. I will ensure to pitch at firm temp next brew. I read to pitch high then lower to get a good start. Live and learn. Thanks folks!

This yeast will produce clean beers in the 60s but you really need to pitch and ferment in the low 50s if you want to avoid ale like flavors. It will ferment strong as low as 48, probably lower. Some age may clean up some of the fruitiness.

Offline Karlofduty

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 08:08:38 am »
Hey. Did you cold crash the beer after fermentation? Jamil mentioned in one episode of brewing with style (I think) that lager yeast can become really stressed from cold crashing and spit out a lot of fruity esters. Not sure if it is the case here though.

Skickat från min ONE E1003 via Tapatalk

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 08:14:51 am »
How long has this been packaged?

I did a red lager with 34/70 that has a fruity character however I think it is more due to combination of the malt and hops than the yeast but it has cleaned up considerably after weeks in the keg. 
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline martinj

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 08:47:44 am »

This yeast will produce clean beers in the 60s but you really need to pitch and ferment in the low 50s if you want to avoid ale like flavors. It will ferment strong as low as 48, probably lower. Some age may clean up some of the fruitiness.

I agree, if the fruity flavor isn't too bad, some age on it will probably help.  I recently kegged a bohemian pilsner that had just a touch of fruitiness to it.  After two or three weeks of aging it's as clean as it can be.
Marty

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 04:03:16 pm »
I did cold lager it for a month. I'll try to give it some time to relax. Problem is my this is in the pipeline and without it i'm not drinking homebrew.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 04:08:57 pm »

I did cold lager it for a month. I'll try to give it some time to relax. Problem is my this is in the pipeline and without it i'm not drinking homebrew.
Sounds like you and me need to go to YH!