Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Murkiest beer ever  (Read 8198 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Murkiest beer ever
« on: March 08, 2016, 10:59:34 am »

Brasserie de la Senne, Double Saison. Mucous membranes are gone, otherwise a nice beer.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Murkiest beer ever
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2016, 11:17:34 am »

Mucous membranes are gone...
Well don't drink it through your nose.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2016, 11:30:08 am »
Looks like it could either be the first pour or the last pour from one of my kegs.

The in between pours are clear.  But those bookends can be pretty murky.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2016, 11:38:01 am »
I think it's supposed to be like that ;) Probably spelt.
Frank P.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2016, 11:40:38 am »
Looks like one of those silly turbid East Coast IPAs posted lately.

Edit - Or like Joe said, the last pour before the keg blows.
Jon H.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2016, 11:52:52 am »
Hm, here's another picture: - maybe should have been just a little bit clearer ;)

Still, didn't taste very yeasty. Phenolic, yes, and very bitter...
Frank P.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2016, 11:54:11 am »
I kegged 2 American Wheats that looked like that last week.  Not sure what they will end up looking like.   :-\

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2016, 02:05:18 pm »
Looks like one of those silly turbid East Coast IPAs posted lately.

Edit - Or like Joe said, the last pour before the keg blows.

Silly? Come on now. You can't get that character without the haze.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2016, 03:23:16 pm »

Hop haze, sure. No arguments. Adding wheat flour to make it look turbid/white - not buying into it as a flavor contributor.
Jon H.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2016, 03:26:51 pm »

Hop haze, sure. No arguments. Adding wheat flour to make it look turbid/white - not buying into it as a flavor contributor.
One hundred percent agreed. They aren't achieving that haze with flour or other starches in the beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2016, 03:31:40 pm »

One hundred percent agreed. They aren't achieving that haze with flour or other starches in the beer.

There were some posts in another thread (or maybe earlier in this one) from a BJCP (Toby) who said otherwise - I have no direct knowledge. Regardless, I know some use a ton of flaked oats which can cause quite a bit of haze. What  are they doing then?
Jon H.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2016, 03:44:19 pm »

There were some posts in another thread (or maybe earlier in this one) from a BJCP (Toby) who said otherwise - I have no direct knowledge. Regardless, I know some use a ton of flaked oats which can cause quite a bit of haze. What  are they doing then?
I don't have any direct knowledge either. There are a handful of home brewers (Bloggers) that have used flour and I think a lot of people ran with that idea. I can't find the source right now but at least one of the NE brewers (guy from Trillium maybe?) spoke out that they were not adding flour to their beer.

ETA:Nope, it was Treehouse. https://mobile.twitter.com/treehousenate/status/679483705119916032?p=v

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2016, 03:59:02 pm »

I don't have any direct knowledge either. There are a handful of home brewers (Bloggers) that have used flour and I think a lot of people ran with that idea. I can't find the source right now but at least one of the NE brewers (guy from Trillium maybe?) spoke out that they were not adding flour to their beer.

ETA:Nope, it was Treehouse. https://mobile.twitter.com/treehousenate/status/679483705119916032?p=v

Cool. Regardless, I don't get it. I know some of those beers are fantastic, just don't get somebody seeking to put out an IPA that looks turbid. Maybe just a reaction to the clearer, drier West Coast beers. All good though.
Jon H.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2016, 04:30:32 pm »

Cool. Regardless, I don't get it. I know some of those beers are fantastic, just don't get somebody seeking to put out an IPA that looks turbid. Maybe just a reaction to the clearer, drier West Coast beers. All good though.
They are seeking to put out an IPA that has a unique mouthfeel and hop presentation. The turbidity is required to achieve those two things.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2016, 04:50:11 pm »
The turbidity is required to achieve those two things.

I say it depends on the source of the turbidity. Not sure I buy that as a blanket statement. To each his own.
Jon H.