Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Murkiest beer ever  (Read 8201 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Murkiest beer ever
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2016, 04:56:08 pm »
I like hazy IPAs just fine and don't bother ever trying to clear mine beyond putting it in a keg and cooling it down. That said, some beers are just ridiculously hazy. I guess some folks like their IPA with a watered down orange juice mouthfeel.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2016, 05:32:47 pm »
Hazy is fine.

Turbid is not. It doesn't matter if it's yeast or flour, unless it's a wheat beer it's not a good thing.

Don't feel like fining? That's fine too, though in my experience that should still only lead to a hazy beer.

Personally, I've have far too many turbid beers in the region, usually from not letting the yeast settle in the rush to get the beer into production. I honestly feel like this whole flour thing is a not-so-subtle attempt to "cover up" the yeast turbidity. If that's the case, I rate the brewers who do it for those reasons to be more slimy that macrobrewers.

Not trying to step on toes, but enough is enough. If the beers had been clear before this trend I may have felt otherwise.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2016, 06:18:56 pm »

They are seeking to put out an IPA that has a unique mouthfeel and hop presentation. The turbidity is required to achieve those two things.

I call complete and utter bull s h i t on this statement....
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2016, 06:23:33 pm »
Hazy is fine.

Turbid is not. It doesn't matter if it's yeast or flour, unless it's a wheat beer it's not a good thing.

Don't feel like fining? That's fine too, though in my experience that should still only lead to a hazy beer.

Personally, I've have far too many turbid beers in the region, usually from not letting the yeast settle in the rush to get the beer into production. I honestly feel like this whole flour thing is a not-so-subtle attempt to "cover up" the yeast turbidity. If that's the case, I rate the brewers who do it for those reasons to be more slimy that macrobrewers.

Not trying to step on toes, but enough is enough. If the beers had been clear before this trend I may have felt otherwise.
What breweries have come out and said they put flour in their beer? I didn't think this was a real thing, outside of some home brewers trying it. I posted one above who specifically said they do not put flour in their beer.
Any specific breweries you want to call out for being slimy macrobrewers?

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2016, 06:24:29 pm »

They are seeking to put out an IPA that has a unique mouthfeel and hop presentation. The turbidity is required to achieve those two things.

Really man? Didn't really seem necessary.

RPIScotty

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2016, 06:31:22 pm »
This might be a good time to pump the brakes fellas. Definitely not a subject worth getting into heated debate over in an open forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2016, 06:37:38 pm »
This might be a good time to pump the brakes fellas. Definitely not a subject worth getting into heated debate over in an open forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree, I really just wanted to talk NE IPA, that was all. Maybe clear up some knowns, some unknowns and some myths. Another day maybe.

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
Murkiest beer ever
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2016, 06:45:18 pm »

Really man? Didn't really seem necessary.

The only thing I would enjoy turbid is a nice bowl of clam chowder soup...turbid and beer....what? Is this real life?

Seriously, I'm all for experimentation, and I love a hazy dankity dank dry hopped to the gills IPA....but this does not make a beer turbid....yeasty beer equates to turbid

Maybe your definition of turbidity is different from mine????

The last time I checked, the definition of turbid was "cloudy, opaque, or thick with suspended matter"....
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2016, 06:55:43 pm »

This was one of the pics that blew me away. I mean, wow. Looks like an active yeast starter.
Jon H.

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2016, 07:11:48 pm »
I've yet to try one of these beers. They just don't look right to me. Hoping to try one from Cellarmaker next week when I'm in town. I'm not sure i could get down with those tan looking ones. Serious haze, maybe... juiced khaki's, not gonna happen?
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2016, 07:12:56 pm »
I'm not trying to fan flames, I'm just tired of yeasty beer. I'm also tired of some trying to create a new "northeast IPA" when we already have (or had) east coast IPA. Though said beer is really hard to find, and decidedly "unmodern" in it's more subdued, British-like balance.

The picture Hoosier posted is what got my mind started down this path.

Again, I'm not trying to fan flames or stir dissent, I just don't like this appears to be heading. (Whether that appearance is true or false.)
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2016, 07:17:49 pm »

I've yet to try one of these beers. They just don't look right to me. Hoping to try one from Cellarmaker next week when I'm in town. I'm not sure i could get down with those tan looking ones. Serious haze, maybe... juiced khaki's, not gonna happen?
Does Cellermaker have an "East Coast/New England/Vermont" style IPA? I was there during beer week last year and I do need to say that place is awesome.

If you need a sandwich, there is a great place very close. Dei Board. Oh what I would give for one of their sandwiches right now.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2016, 07:20:56 pm »
Yep different ideas of the definition of the word turbid. Maybe yours is more correct, IDK.  However what I am describing is cloudy and opaque but has no visable particulate. None. The picture Hoosier posted was a good example from what I could tell. I have not had tired hands beers so I cant say if there was actually any visable particulate there or not.

Offline norcaljp

• Assistant Brewer
  • I prefer to drink my bread, thank you
    • The Brewins
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2016, 07:25:20 pm »

Does Cellermaker have an "East Coast/New England/Vermont" style IPA? I was there during beer week last year and I do need to say that place is awesome.

If you need a sandwich, there is a great place very close. Dei Board. Oh what I would give for one of their sandwiches right now.

I think they do have one right now. Tasty McDole posted a pic recently on his facebook page of a very hazy brew, which sparked similar pics from the one Hoosier posted.
Joel Prater

I prefer to drink my bread, thank you

Online reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2016, 09:02:42 am »
I think this conversation is ongoing on every beer forum/group I'm in right now with the same two arguments. I've even seen some people float rumors that whey protein is added to get that murkiness. I find that doubtful because whey protein has a pretty terrible flavor (at least to me).

I think this appearance can mostly be produced with a combination of protein haze, hop oil haze and a lot of poorly sedimenting yeast in suspension. If you don't cool the wort quickly and you don't cold crash then it's easy to get a good amount of haze. For some of these beers that look like chicken stock, IDK, there might be more at work to get them that hazy.

Personally I can appreciate targeting the smoother body with this style but at a certain level that much yeast in suspension will add yeast bite and that is never pleasant no matter how much hops are thrown on top.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing