Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Blending Malts  (Read 3459 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Blending Malts
« on: March 09, 2016, 05:18:24 am »
I am looking at a recipe that calls for pale malt. I don't have that on hand, but do have MO and 2-row available. Can I blend these together to create a similar taste and color profile of the pale malt?

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Blending Malts
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 05:55:08 am »
sure can. or just use one or the other. the MO will have a more distinctive flavor and the North American two row will be a bit more neutral.

Apparently a lot of the trappist breweries blend a few different base malts to build complexity.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 06:08:53 am »
Yes, I do this a lot.  Rather than doing a 50/50 blend, I like to use up one and make up the rest with the other.  Take your pick.

Randy Mosher in his book Radical Brewing also advocated blending to build complexity.  He suggests thinking about ingredients as a spectrum, much like a portrait artist would blend different hues of paint on their palette to create the hue that he or she wants, rather than just using globs of one thing and another.  Either will work but it depends what you want.  If you spread things out you also ensure you'll hit the target.  For example, a beer with just 2-row and Crystal 40 is not going to be as complex as 2-row, Maris Otter, Crystal 20, 40, and 60.  It's more the shotgun approach than the sharpshooter, but it's another thing worth trying.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

RPIScotty

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 06:37:39 am »
I like blending Pilsner, Pale and Munich malts from Dingemans and Weyermann in Belgians styles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 07:41:25 am »
I like blending Pilsner, Pale and Munich malts from Dingemans and Weyermann in Belgians styles.

I've used Crisp MO and Castle Pils as my base for quite a few Belgian beers and have been pretty happy with the results.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 08:32:42 am »
Apparently a lot of the trappist breweries blend a few different base malts to build complexity.

Define "a lot". AFAIK Westmalle and Westvleteren only use pils, and Rochefort pils + 1 caramout.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 08:36:27 am »

Define "a lot". AFAIK Westmalle and Westvleteren only use pils, and Rochefort pils + 1 caramout.
Especially when there is only 11 in the world. ;)

RPIScotty

Blending Malts
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 08:38:18 am »

I don't think he necessarily meant blending different malts, i.e. Pils/Pale/Munich, but rather blending say, Dingemans Pilsner and Castle Pilsner.

At least that is how I interpreted it based on what I have also heard about these breweries.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 08:40:19 am »
I am looking at a recipe that calls for pale malt. I don't have that on hand, but do have MO and 2-row available. Can I blend these together to create a similar taste and color profile of the pale malt?

FWIW, both of those are in fact pale malt.  Depending on the maltster of the MO, it might be closer to a pale ale malt.  In general, pale malt and what's referred to as "2 row" are the same thing.  And almost every barley malt out there will be 2 row.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 08:40:23 am »
Especially when there is only 11 in the world. ;)

Plus, the ones that are not in Belgium don't count.
Frank P.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 09:05:18 am »

FWIW, both of those are in fact pale malt.  Depending on the maltster of the MO, it might be closer to a pale ale malt.  In general, pale malt and what's referred to as "2 row" are the same thing.  And almost every barley malt out there will be 2 row.

+1
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 09:16:26 am »
Correct

Which is to say, they bland different pils malts together.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 09:39:54 am by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 09:23:26 am »

Good point.  I fall into this same trap.  It's carryover from when we started brewing way back in the 1990s, when 6-row was very common.  Remember those days, man?  ;)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 09:51:17 am »

You have a reference?
Frank P.

RPIScotty

Blending Malts
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 09:52:49 am »

You have a reference?

BLAM

EDIT: After reviewing I wasn't able to find a reference to any of the Trappists. What I remembered was the section on Duvel.

But I haven't reviewed it thoroughly yet. I know it's in there somewhere. 

« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 09:58:58 am by RPIScotty »