Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 6/25  (Read 2434 times)

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
    • View Profile
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 6/25
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2010, 10:00:47 AM »
My Mighty Zeus IPA, using mostly Zeus hops (go figure) with a splash of Willamette, Cascade and Goldings.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline jimbo44

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2010, 11:34:10 AM »
Brewing a pale ale.  Using the CYBI Mirror Pond Recipe for some nice malt backround.  But using Citra as bittering and jacking up the total IBUs a little.  Fermenting with some Pacman and my plate filter came in today so it looks like the pale will be the first filtered batch.
"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."
-Humphrey Bogart

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2010, 09:41:30 PM »
firing up saturday morning:

12gal of Hersbrucker Pils then 6g of toasted oat witbier.

Is this instead of the Mt. Hood hops combo Pils?  I remember you posted a survey. I really enjoy the flavor German Hersbrucker hops passes on to lagers. Yum!
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2010, 09:52:43 PM »
I'm not firing up the kettle because of school, but I do have to transfer a 10% Smoked Baltic Porter into a 10gal French Oak barrel.  I'm debating whether to that because I feel the beers I've transfered and aged in the barrel have been losing body; I think the barrel is harboring some pedio, or lacto but not quite sure.  I feel I should just age this beer in a 15 gallon stainless steel kegs with French oak cubes. ???   
If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline blatz

• Brewmaster General
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2010, 10:01:15 PM »
firing up saturday morning:

12gal of Hersbrucker Pils then 6g of toasted oat witbier.

Is this instead of the Mt. Hood hops combo Pils?  I remember you posted a survey. I really enjoy the flavor German Hersbrucker hops passes on to lagers. Yum!

yeah - I have a little less Crystal than I thought I did, so my decision is kinda made for me.

I use H-B all the time, just never isolated in a pils - we'll see how it turns out!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 04:31:49 AM »
Hopefully get to that shwarzbier this weekend.  Have some drywall work to do.   Will transfer an APA from priamry to keg with a Cascade dryhop if nothing else.  Bluesman and I are planning a saison in two weeks.  I'm think about starting the fermentation in the basement around 68F and then putting in the garage at 85F to finish.  Using WY3711.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2010, 06:22:31 AM »
A Maibock or Helles Bock. Which one depends on how the hop schedule affects the beer.  I am brewing with my son for the first time (his first beer) so I wanted to spread the hop additions out a bit to keep him more interested during the boil.  I know this is not the traditional season for one, but he tasted one at a local micro-brewery (Asheville, NC) and finally got interested enough to brew.
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline lazydog79

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2010, 07:05:44 AM »
I had planned to brew an Oktoberfest today, but yeast problems are going to push me back to Tuesday.  I've got a CAP in secondary that'll get bottled tomorrow.

Offline blatz

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2010, 07:16:41 AM »
A Maibock or Helles Bock. Which one depends on how the hop schedule affects the beer. 

How so?  I've never heard any such distinction between Helles or Mai-bock? Please explain.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 25, 2010, 07:33:17 AM »
Racked 10g of Oktoberfest to the lagering freezer last night (WLP833 Bock Lager)
Tonight racking 5g of Honey Blonde Ale (WLP005) to lagering fridge for cold conditioning to keg for July 4.
Tomorrow 10g of Light Pils (for my BMC addicted friends) 3.8% ABV 8 IBU with the above WLP833 slurry)
Sunday 10g of Best Bitter (with above WLP005 slurry)
July 5 - 10g of Irish Red using Denny's WY1450

Otherwise the cupboard is bare! That hasn't happened in a couple of years!
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 07:45:26 AM »
Maibock or Helles Bock?  Most brewers don't distinguish and I certanly wouldn't know the difference.  Darryl Richman's BOCK book in the Classic Beer Style Series says that a Maibock is at the upper limits of the style for hops and color.
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 07:48:40 AM »
Since I'm picking up some 300 lbs of grain this weekend, I guess I better!

lightweight - a real man buys in 500lb increments. ;D :D

What was that other malt you tried in lieu of TF MO?  Halcyon, maybe it was Optic?  How did that turn out.  I was off the forum for a while so I may have missed you talking about it.

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2010, 07:50:12 AM »
Patersbier.  Gonna use the yeast for a Tripel in a few weeks.

Offline blatz

• Brewmaster General
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2010, 07:56:35 AM »
Since I'm picking up some 300 lbs of grain this weekend, I guess I better!

lightweight - a real man buys in 500lb increments. ;D :D

What was that other malt you tried in lieu of TF MO?  Halcyon, maybe it was Optic?  How did that turn out.  I was off the forum for a while so I may have missed you talking about it.

I tried Optic a few years back - good, but a little too much sweet candy malt flavor for me, rather than biscuity/toasty.

Halcyon was what I tried out this time.  I did not like Halcyon at first, but I also tried it out on experimental recipes (Citra Pale Ale) rather than my stalwarts.  Turns out I think I just don't like those hops. 

I just made my house IPA with it, and I am really liking it a lot - just as described - sort of in between MO and domestic 2-row.  strangely, it is now more expensive than TFMO at NCM, so I don't know if I will order it again on the next pallet.

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 08:20:21 AM »
Brewed yesterday in a oven, pool was a cool 94f ::)

experimental recipes (Citra Pale Ale) rather than my stalwarts.  Turns out I think I just don't like those hops. 

So what didn't you like about the citra hops? lingering bite / sharp ?  I like them only for last min additions or dry hop.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 08:24:05 AM by uthristy »