Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

What do you use for brewing? Also please add if you treat w/ salts.

R/O, "Drinking" bottled water
16 (36.4%)
Spring Water
0 (0%)
Filtered Tap
11 (25%)
Distilled
4 (9.1%)
Other, please explain
13 (29.5%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Brewing Water  (Read 5009 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Brewing Water
« on: March 09, 2016, 07:31:24 am »
I have previously just used R/O and thrown in some CaCl. The more recipes I read (especially some pale ale styles) people are really jacking up the CA, CL, and Sulfate...either through salts or perhaps their existing water profile.

I also have been told that water is what brings a recipe from good to great, but I am beginning to think it has more to do than that.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Re: Brewing Water
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2016, 07:34:04 am »
i use RO and adjust (mostly with gypsum, CaCl, epsom, pickling lime or lactic) according to Bru'n Water to the profile and pH I want to reach
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 07:36:25 am »
RO with Brunwater. I use lactic to drop, baking soda to raise, and gypsum, CaCl2, and sometimes epsom to hit the right flavor profile for a beer.
Jon H.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 08:10:19 am »
RO with Brunwater. I use lactic to drop, baking soda to raise, and gypsum, CaCl2, and sometimes epsom to hit the right flavor profile for a beer.
Exactly this, sans epsom.

Where and why are you guys using epsom (Mg)? Styles, flavors you are after?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2016, 08:17:47 am »

Exactly this, sans epsom.

Where and why are you guys using epsom (Mg)? Styles, flavors you are after?
Lots of sulfate with no calcium. The amount of magnesium added is fairly small. Martin's Pale Ale profile wouldn't be possible without it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2016, 08:26:42 am »
Also in lagers, where it's sometimes beneficial to keep Ca content fairly low (sub 50ppm), it's a way of getting sulfate content without excess Ca. I never exceed the Brunwater recommendation of Mg.
Jon H.

RPIScotty

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2016, 08:30:52 am »
All of the above but specifically I use distilled, gypsum, CaCl, Epsom, table salt, Baking Soda and Acid Malt to hit my numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2016, 08:37:00 am »
Tap water adjusted with Bru'n water. Normally just need some gypsum, CaCl, and lactic acid to get me where I need to be. I use baking soda in dark beers to raise the pH near 5.6.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2016, 08:42:20 am »
For 90% of the beers I make, I use my unfiltered well water.  For the other 10%, I either use distilled or cut my well water with distilled.  All depends on the beer color and style.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2016, 09:26:37 am »
RO with salts adjusted with Bru'n Water. My local water is surface water that tastes terrible and often has high levels of calcium and organic matter. Even clearing out the chloromine still leaves an unpleasant water.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2016, 09:41:18 am »
RO plus Bru'NWater, I have gypsum, CaCl, table salt, epsom, baking soda, pickling lime and acid as necessary to hit my profiles. Usually not more than 4 of the above in any recipe : the simpler the better
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2016, 09:53:35 am »
Also in lagers, where it's sometimes beneficial to keep Ca content fairly low (sub 50ppm), it's a way of getting sulfate content without excess Ca. I never exceed the Brunwater recommendation of Mg.
I didn't know keeping the Ca low in a lager was a good thing. The Helles I have chilling right now has only 42ppm. What is the reasoning behind the low Ca being desirable?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2016, 09:56:13 am »
I didn't know keeping the Ca low in a lager was a good thing. The Helles I have chilling right now has only 42ppm. What is the reasoning behind the low Ca being desirable?

I don't know if it's desirable as much as unnecessary.  According to Martin. Ca is mainly useful for yeast flocculation.  Since you will be cold conditioning a lager, you'll be dropping the yeast by temp, making Ca much less necessary.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2016, 10:15:21 am »

I don't know if it's desirable as much as unnecessary.  According to Martin. Ca is mainly useful for yeast flocculation.  Since you will be cold conditioning a lager, you'll be dropping the yeast by temp, making Ca much less necessary.
Thanks. That has been my thought process. I got the impression from other comments that there was something to gain by reducing the Ca.

What do we gain by using some Mg (a la Martin's Pale Ale profile)?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2016, 10:18:54 am »

Thanks. That has been my thought process. I got the impression from other comments that there was something to gain by reducing the Ca.

What do we gain by using some Mg (a la Martin's Pale Ale profile)?

AFAIK, Mg promotes yeast health, especially if you intend to repitch.

www.dennybrew.com