Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: acidulated malt addition  (Read 7854 times)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: acidulated malt addition
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2016, 11:19:53 am »
All of those reasosnns make sense.  It's just a matter of how you want to do it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

RPIScotty

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2016, 11:20:28 am »

All of those reasosnns make sense.  It's just a matter of how you want to do it.

It's all lactic to me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline JohnnyC

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 08:26:30 am »
acid malt works and is just malt treated with lactic- i've used per weyermanns guidlines with RO water:

"Weyermann® Acidulated Malt is perfect to adjust the pH level in mash or wort. There is a simple formula to calculate the dosage of Acidulated Malt: You have to use 1% of Acidulated malt to reduce the pH by 0.1. (Example: 3% Acidulated malt reduce the pH leve in mash by 0.3).

The exact effect depends of course on the special conditions in the mash or wort (buffering capacity …) and on the composition of the brew water.

Weyermann Acidulated Malt is produced by using lactic acid, which is generated by on grain natural occurring lactic bacteria. Therefore Acidulated Malt is also a wonderful possibility to produce beer styles with a typical “sourish” character like “Berliner Weisse”.

To reach the “sourish” character 8% of Acidulated malt are a perfect rate. In my recipe there are also recommendations for Fermentis Yeast strains for an authentic aroma and flavour profile"

What's hard for me to understand is why you'd use it instead of just using lactic acid.  Same result, right?

Mainly because I don't need googles or gloves with acidulated malt. ;)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 08:31:17 am »

FWIW you don't need goggles or gloves to use lactic. It's a pretty mild acid. I've gotten it on my fingers many times with no issues at all. No more likely to cause an irritation than star san.
Jon H.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2016, 08:42:26 am »
acid malt works and is just malt treated with lactic- i've used per weyermanns guidlines with RO water:

"Weyermann® Acidulated Malt is perfect to adjust the pH level in mash or wort. There is a simple formula to calculate the dosage of Acidulated Malt: You have to use 1% of Acidulated malt to reduce the pH by 0.1. (Example: 3% Acidulated malt reduce the pH leve in mash by 0.3).

The exact effect depends of course on the special conditions in the mash or wort (buffering capacity …) and on the composition of the brew water.

Weyermann Acidulated Malt is produced by using lactic acid, which is generated by on grain natural occurring lactic bacteria. Therefore Acidulated Malt is also a wonderful possibility to produce beer styles with a typical “sourish” character like “Berliner Weisse”.

To reach the “sourish” character 8% of Acidulated malt are a perfect rate. In my recipe there are also recommendations for Fermentis Yeast strains for an authentic aroma and flavour profile"

What's hard for me to understand is why you'd use it instead of just using lactic acid.  Same result, right?

I don't need them with lactic acid, either.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2016, 08:47:26 am »

I don't need them with lactic acid, either.

+1
I'd be more likely to use goggles when someone is squeezing their lemon into their ice tea and somehow always manages to shoot me in the eye...now that burns  8)
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2016, 08:47:41 am »
MSDS calls for PPE. The risk is likely small considering the amount we handle (1-2ml for me using a disposable pipette).