Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Watermelon IPA  (Read 5705 times)

Offline BroDawg

• 1st Kit
Watermelon IPA
« on: March 10, 2016, 06:58:49 am »
My soon to be brother in law has been talking about his want for a watermelon ipa. To me if figured the subtleness of watermelon would be over powered by the hops.

As their wedding approaches I've decided to go ahead and try this, as a gift for their reception.
Instead of an ipa I'm going to do more of a hoppy wheat with either watermelon chunks or puree in the secondary. I still would think that this wouldn't be enough melon to be noticeable so I've came up with this idea and I'm wondering if anyone else has attempted anything similar.

What I'm thinking is brew the beer as normal,
Watermelon in secondary
Then cold crash and clear with gelatin BUT not unflavored, instead using watermelon jello.
In theory this would add more watermelon flavor and give it a light coloring (novelty).
Any potential downsides to this? I realize I could order watermelon extract online, but after shipping cost and time, I'd rather go jello route if possible being this is the 4th beer I've brewed for this wedding.

Any advice would be appreciated 

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Watermelon IPA
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 07:10:49 am »
Can you find watermelon extract? That will likely be the simplest and most effective solution.

My LHBS has quite a wide range of fruit extracts although I have never really checked them out so I cannot recall seeing watermelon which is probably an unusual one...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 07:12:26 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Vin S

• Assistant Brewer
  • Harwinton CT
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 07:14:00 am »
You can look at Thomas hooker brewery and check their watermelon ale or even contact them and see if they can lead you.
" There is no such thing as a bad beer. It's that some taste better than others." Billy Carter

Offline BroDawg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 07:17:53 am »
Unfortunately living in rural Missouri I haven't found watermelon extract in store, or at LHBS, but I have found it online. The only problem with that is the having to wait for shipping and cost of shipping. I HATE spending extra money on things. If it comes down to it, then I'll probably go ahead and order some. Watermelon jello just kinda sparked in my head, can't find anywhere that someone has tried flavored jello so I didn't know if there was a reason for not using it, other than being artificial.

I'll look into that brewery Vin, thanks for the lead

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 07:21:16 am »
You can add to the watermelon flavor by utilizing El Dorado hops.
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 07:24:24 am »
You can add to the watermelon flavor by utilizing El Dorado hops.

Beat me to it, Frank. If there was ever a reason to single hop an IPA, it'd be using El Dorado in a watermelon IPA. If you like that sort of thing.
Jon H.

Offline BroDawg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 07:33:50 am »
Jesus, I feel like that is a must! I didn't see any Eldorado at my LHBS, I have citra and amarlillo for it, but I may just save those and track down that el Dorado. Or us in combo with

Offline BroDawg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2016, 07:49:21 am »
Good news, I called another shop a little further away than the one I normally go to and they just got some el dorado in the other day they said. Have an hour drive each way. But that's better than spending 2x as much ordering off amazon. Thanks Hoosier & frank

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2016, 07:54:29 am »
Good call on the El Dorado! I would go with the combo. I personally don't care for El Dorado on its own.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2016, 08:05:40 am »
Good news, I called another shop a little further away than the one I normally go to and they just got some el dorado in the other day they said. Have an hour drive each way. But that's better than spending 2x as much ordering off amazon. Thanks Hoosier & frank

Yakima Valley Hops is a great retailer. A great option. They're high quality and you don't have to pay the per oz price of a LHBS. They sell in 2oz, 8oz, and lb increments.

http://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/ElDorado2oz_p/hopseldorado2-2015crop.htm
Jon H.

Offline BroDawg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2016, 08:10:49 am »
Just looked em up, and that's better prices than my LHBS. Will definitely start going that route, but today, to the city I go.. just so I can brew today

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2016, 08:54:01 am »
Yeah. I would hang onto the Citra and Amarillo. At least hang onto the Amarillo. I feel that Citra has a less citrus profile that would mesh better with el dorado to get the flavor you're looking for. I feel that meridian might even have a better profile to mix with el dorado to get a watermelon flavor. I would either single hop it, or use el dorado with a 2:1 ratio with anything you combo it with.

But if you're putting this IPA on actual watermelon for a secondary fermentation, I would just finish it pretty heavy with el dorado at whirlpool and dry hop. Bitter it with a neutral hop. With this being said, I have no idea why I typed the first paragraph lol  :o
Frank

Offline BroDawg

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2016, 10:21:48 am »
Got them el dorado, and happened to find some watermelon extract at this shop, last bottle. I've never used flavor extracts before so this will be interesting for me.. starting to get more excited about this beer. Thanks fellas

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2016, 10:23:27 am »
Got them el dorado, and happened to find some watermelon extract at this shop, last bottle. I've never used flavor extracts before so this will be interesting for me.. starting to get more excited about this beer. Thanks fellas

Good luck!
Jon H.

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2016, 06:22:46 pm »
I'm kind of intrigued with the jello concept since no one chimed in on why it won't work.....
Can't really think of one myself and it might really work-clear the beer and give flavor!

Why don't you rack a gallon or so over to a small secondary and try it? I'd be curious to hear the results:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010