Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spare CO2 line  (Read 1386 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Spare CO2 line
« on: March 10, 2016, 04:26:33 pm »
I'm curious to know who has a spare line just for purging CO2? I currently only have 2 taps (dual regulator) and have no real way of using a gas line to purge CO2 into kegs or fermenters. All of my lines are clamped with Oetikers and QDC.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Spare CO2 line
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 04:32:36 pm »
You have what you need to purge a keg. Fill a cleaned, empty keg up with star san and empty it completely through your open tap into a bucket until keg is empty. You just created a purged keg and sanitized the beer line and tap all in one shot.  As for the fermenter, take the QD off of a gas line, put the tube to the bottom of your fermenter and flush with CO2 for several seconds. Effectively purged.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 04:34:07 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2016, 04:53:23 pm »
A spare CO2 line is useful for all sorts of things. 

It's probably easiest to just buy a distributor with an extra valve or two.

Example:

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/kegging/gas-hardware/3-way-co2-distributor-w-1-4-mfl-shutoffs
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2016, 04:54:22 pm »
I have a spare tank with its own regulator and Kent disconnects for various uses. When my normal tank kicks I swap them and then take the empty in for an exchange.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2016, 05:05:05 pm »
Having said all that, I do have a spare CO2 port on one of my manifolds that I use for the beer gun. I have the beer gun hose and fitting attached to the port, ready to use on short notice. Love it. I just wanted Justin to know that he could purge kegs as is,without a spare line.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2016, 05:23:40 pm »
Add a disconnect to one of your lines and you can create a series of accessories. I use Kent disconnects, but fancier versions with auto shut-off exist as well.

Here is how my setup works
- two regulators/tanks, each has about 6" of gas line with a female Kent on the end
- manifold with a about a foot worth of line attached to the input with a male Kent on the end
- extension line, maybe 6 feet with a male kent on one end and a female kent on the other
-  gas disconnect, with a foot and a male Kent
- ball lock disconnect, with a foot and a male Kent. Not really used and I might repurpose the fitting.
- air hose "gun", with a foot and a male disconnect. I use this to start transfers, purge head space if needed, and blow off stuff. Blowing stuff off doesn't really work as the pressure is generally low, but it works well to get siphons started with a carboy hood.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2016, 05:25:44 pm »
That's pretty cool and useful. I like it.
Jon H.