Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewery Yeast  (Read 1873 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Brewery Yeast
« on: March 04, 2016, 10:22:03 am »
I had an offer to have a "mason jar of yeast" given to me by a local brewery. Sounds fun, but not sure how I'd store it, use it, etc. Any thoughts are welcomed!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Brewery Yeast
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2016, 10:32:58 am »
I had an offer to have a "mason jar of yeast" given to me by a local brewery. Sounds fun, but not sure how I'd store it, use it, etc. Any thoughts are welcomed!

When I do that, it's for immediate use.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2016, 10:33:55 am »

Regarding the quantity, would a mason jar be overkill in a 5 gallon batch?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2016, 10:35:27 am »

Yeah, but remember the volume of yeast they deal with...to them, a mason jar is like a tablespoon to us!  Use the amount you think you need, then either toss the rest, or store it under beer in your fridge.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2016, 11:03:29 am »

Depends on the size of the mason jar.

Put it in the fridge until you are ready to use it, and you will probably need just a little bit. Maybe 100ml.
Think about how much yeast is in a smack pack or vial.

The yeast you are getting will be a thicker slurry and should be healthy and active.

RPIScotty

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2016, 11:15:30 am »
A general rule is 1.2 x 10⁹ cells/mL for harvested slurry.

If they are giving you pure yeast (no trub, extraneous material, etc) it may be as high as 3 x 10⁹ cells/mL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2016, 12:51:56 pm »
How would you use this? 

Easy, sanitize the top of the jar, swirl it up, and pour around 100-150 mL of slurry into your next batch of chilled, aerated wort.  This amount of course, depends on how soon you use it after the brewery harvested it, what size batch you are brewing, and the OG. Those amounts would be good for a 5.5 gallon batch, up to 1 wk old slurry, and average gravity wort (ie 1.050-1.060).

Do you know what strain it is?

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2016, 07:26:51 pm »
Free Pizza! You don't know what to do with yeast?...make beer or baguettes...and thank them profusely for their generosity...
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski