Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best Northwest Beercation destination?  (Read 1763 times)

Offline LeslieC

• 1st Kit
Best Northwest Beercation destination?
« on: June 05, 2016, 04:28:19 pm »
In my most humble opinion, the very best beercation destination for the entire family would be Astoria Oregon.

During the daytime, the family can check out the local scene including climbing the Astor Column, enjoy Seaside, the beach and Fort Stevens State Park, and much more. But during the evening for the adults there is a good variety of incredibly good beer stops to check out. Most of which you can walk between. Or take the trolley that runs along the waterfront. 

There's Rogue out on the pier, The Wet Dog Saloon, an aspect of Astoria Brewing, Desdemona, also of Astoria Brewing, Hondo's, Fort George in the historic building with the incredible view, and last but not least my personal favorite Buoy Brewing, right on the waterfront with the sea lion viewport in the floor of the main dining room. Every one of these brew houses make some of the best beer you'll find anywhere.

If you're living anywhere from Seattle to Eugene and looking for a great escape, this is it. 

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Best Northwest Beercation destination?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 07:42:14 pm »
Heading to the Oregon Coast Wednesday. Staying in South Beach for a couple of days. Will take a ride north to Tillamook and then head back south to Pelican Brewing and then Rusty Truck. Dinner at Sharks on the bay in Newport and then a couple of pints at Rogue's Public House. Friday afternoon to Corvallis for our daughter's hooding ceremony sends us heading for home. Would love to spend more time on the coast, but can't this time.

Enjoy crabbing off of the pier that you enter from Rogue's parking lot. Never do much good, but the beer is close by. Might make it to Astoria next time we head North.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2016, 07:58:29 pm »
Been to Fort George for lunch.

Bend was a great town, and I lean more to snow capped mountains vs. the salt water. Our friends that lived in Bend had the moving truck loaded yesterday. No worries, they will be between Denver and Boulder cO.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 12:21:06 pm »
Astoria is great.  Been there a couple times and had a blast.  I would highly, highly recommend the Festival of Dark Arts that Fort George puts on close to Valentines in February.  My wife and I went this year and as soon as we left decided that we were coming back every year.  Lots of awesome beers from around the world (this year as far away as Mikkeller from Denmark) if you like dark beers.  Everything on tap is all stouts, porters and barleywines.

The only complaint was the weather.. it was pouring rain and we got soaked walking to and from the hotel, but this was certainly not the kind of festival to try to drive away from.. lots of 10%+ beers.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year