Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: strange flavor after bottling  (Read 5314 times)

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
Re: strange flavor after bottling
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2016, 03:58:29 am »
So you had about 4 bottles left in the keg that had been sitting still long enough for you to drink from the tap all but those 4?

Did you wiggle the keg at all prior to bottling?

The symptoms and tasting notes sound to me like you disturbed some sedimentary yeast and dark malt particles back into solution.

When I bottle with my beergun I enjoy from the tap until its hit that "perfection" stage, then I attach the beer gun without moving the keg AT ALL and bottle what I need.

So you had about 4 bottles left in the keg that had been sitting still long enough for you to drink from the tap all but those 4?

Did you wiggle the keg at all prior to bottling?

The symptoms and tasting notes sound to me like you disturbed some sedimentary yeast and dark malt particles back into solution.

When I bottle with my beergun I enjoy from the tap until its hit that "perfection" stage, then I attach the beer gun without moving the keg AT ALL and bottle what I need.

Yes, I wanted to hand out a few bottles at the end of the keg. Only four could be filled. And yes, I moved the keg around to use the beergun. But the bottle I tried the other day was a slow gusher, and tasted very thin, so I'm not convinced by your explanation.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2016, 04:34:02 am »
It was just a thought. Carry on

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2016, 05:26:12 am »
All the symptoms of infection are present - sour flavor that increases over time, thin body, over carb.  It has to have been during bottling, so take everything apart and clean it.  When I got my beer gun it had instructions on that and came with a brush to clean the insides.  I always take apart the quick disconnects and clean them as well when bottling for competitions.  It amazes me how much crud grows in them.  I've never spent much effort on the gas hose, but I do soak it in sanitizer before use.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline salcedo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2016, 08:19:30 am »
Maybe the off flavors come from the sanitizer itself?

Sent from my K01A using Tapatalk

Offline zsmith87

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2016, 02:14:29 pm »
So this past weekend I actually used my beergun for the first time, bottled a very hoppy IPA. Did not even think once to clean or sanitize the C02 lines, and even used the same C02 line that I use to carbonate my kegs and attached that to the beer gun, thus thinking the C02 line in the accessory kit was unnecessary.

My processwas I cleaned the bottles with PBW, then used sanitized with starsan, then used the beergun to purge, then fill and cap. Drank the first one yesterday, 3 days after bottling, and it tasted a little funky. My first question, is any tiny amount of starsan left over going to affect the flavor? Is the consensus to sanitize and clean the c02 line going into the beer gun?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2016, 02:32:34 pm »
So this past weekend I actually used my beergun for the first time, bottled a very hoppy IPA. Did not even think once to clean or sanitize the C02 lines, and even used the same C02 line that I use to carbonate my kegs and attached that to the beer gun, thus thinking the C02 line in the accessory kit was unnecessary.

My processwas I cleaned the bottles with PBW, then used sanitized with starsan, then used the beergun to purge, then fill and cap. Drank the first one yesterday, 3 days after bottling, and it tasted a little funky. My first question, is any tiny amount of starsan left over going to affect the flavor? Is the consensus to sanitize and clean the c02 line going into the beer gun?

No, the sanitizer won't affect the flavor

No, you don't need to sanitize CO2 lines
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2016, 02:37:19 pm »
Are you sure you sanitized the gas line going from the CO2 to the beergun?

Why would that be necessary?  Or is it a joke I'm missing?

That's what I was thinking too, Denny.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline zsmith87

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2016, 02:54:07 pm »

Thanks, I know that may have been a stupid question, but just reading this post start to finish had me second guessing myself.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2016, 03:06:46 pm »
So I tasted another of the 4 bottles that I filled with the beergun, 3 weeks later, and it's clearly an infection. 99% sure it's the beergun, what else would it be?

So what is a foolproof way of cleaning the beergun?  A couple of weeks ago I ran some caustic soda through it, let that sit for a while, and then ran Starsan through it. But Mr OCD in the back of my skull whispers in my ears (not sure how he does that) that this may not be sufficient....

This may be a stoopid question, but you're sanitizing the outside of the beer gun, too, right?  You've run stuff through it to sanitize the inside, but isn't the beer in the bottles exposed to the outside of the gun as well?
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

narvin

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2016, 03:17:06 pm »
Don't laugh. I need to bottle my Roche Four and I'm going to do it the old way with priming sugar and a bottling wand.

The best way to bottle a Belgian beer (i'm sure you know this  :) )

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2016, 06:35:24 am »

I would agree with you if the CO2 line was constantly hooked up to gas, but I completely disassemble my beer gun every time I use it.  I then hang my CO2 line up to dry after sanitizing it after use. If it sits there for 4 months before I use it again, who knows what kind of dust, bacteria, or other wild yeast has had the opportunity to get trapped up in there?  Sanitizing it prior to use simply helps me to be sure that I have potentially eliminated any issues with my bottling process with regards to sanitation.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2016, 06:41:41 am »
So I tasted another of the 4 bottles that I filled with the beergun, 3 weeks later, and it's clearly an infection. 99% sure it's the beergun, what else would it be?

So what is a foolproof way of cleaning the beergun?  A couple of weeks ago I ran some caustic soda through it, let that sit for a while, and then ran Starsan through it. But Mr OCD in the back of my skull whispers in my ears (not sure how he does that) that this may not be sufficient....

I can tell you that I have bottled batches off my kegs that have gone into comps and gotten scores with wild yeast infections noted (plastic notes). Then a couple weeks later bottling them up from the same keg and taking best of show with the same beer. So, I have definitely picked up infections when using the beer gun before. Will I still continue to use it?  Of course, I think it is a good product.  Sometimes s**t happens and it is out of your control.  Oh well, it is just beer. And I love it!

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 06:45:26 am »

This may be a stoopid question, but you're sanitizing the outside of the beer gun, too, right?  You've run stuff through it to sanitize the inside, but isn't the beer in the bottles exposed to the outside of the gun as well?

Yep, put the beergun in a bucket of starsan...
Frank P.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2016, 06:47:02 am »

Yep, put the beergun in a bucket of starsan...

I also run iodophor through mine prior to packaging.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2016, 06:47:43 am »
Don't laugh. I need to bottle my Roche Four and I'm going to do it the old way with priming sugar and a bottling wand.

The best way to bottle a Belgian beer (i'm sure you know this  :) )

I do! Funnily enough to me (and many others) some Belgian beers are better on draft. Two local beers come to mind: De Koninck and Westmalle Dubbel.
Frank P.