Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Epoxy Mixers in the Dip Tube ?  (Read 8667 times)

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
Re: Epoxy Mixers in the Dip Tube ?
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2010, 08:24:20 am »
Sounds like you got it sorted out though.

I'm still working on it but I think I'm getting closer..  Right now I have it set with 1 stick and a 10' line at 25psi.  We'll see how things check out when I get home today.

I'm going to test flow with different numbers of sticks in the dip tub on a keg of water.

Could the stick be causing a clog?  I killed most of the pressure in the keg last night and did a test pour.  It was perfect.  Spritzy with no foam so I dont' think I'm getting a clog.

That's leading me to two conclusions:
1) I need to wait until the beer is carbed the same as the dispensing pressure as has been said.
2) I need to slow the flow down even more.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2010, 12:32:01 pm »
I've pretty much always calculated using 2psi/ft, but Micromatic states it is 3psi/ft http://www.micromatic.com/direct-draw-draft-beer-system-aid-121.html and the Brewer's Association (read as AHA) states the same http://draughtquality.org/f/ch5.pdf

Personally I've seen all sorts of numbers, 2 is certainly safe and a number I've used in the past...
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline wilypig

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2010, 07:24:04 pm »
Ok I don't understand how to use the epoxy mixer tip to reduce foaming. I do not have any issues but I always like to find new trick to help people in times of need. I would also like to try the trick just to see how it works.
If you can make mac and cheese from a box, you can make great beer.
Weiz Guys Homebrew club Loveland CO
Wilypig Fermentation Specialties

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2010, 07:24:21 am »
This is the link that turned me on to it:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/cure-your-short-hose-troubles-100151/

Seems to be working for me as far as the slow pour but it still seems to depend on the type of glass and it's temp as to how much foaming I get at that pressure (as has been said).

Offline bdgrfrisch

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2010, 10:09:10 am »
Is there a formula/ratio of how many of the epoxy mixers to use to compensate for a certain pressure level? ???
You know, 15 psi @ 38F with 3 mixers requires "X" feet of 3/16" line.
Or is everybody just using trial and error to see what works?

Cheers........
You can do things two ways, the right way or the wrong way.
Or you can do things my way - which is like the wrong way but faster.

Offline jptheelder

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 07:51:09 pm »
[quote author=MDixon link=topic=2629.msg30344#msg30344 date=1277465605]
The resistance value of 3/16" is ~3psi/ft, simply divide the pressure by that value and it will yield the approx length of hose required to balance the system.
[/quote]

Do you buy/make a new tap line for each beer you serve? Is there a happy medium to look for as I replace them, or should I have a reel of line and cut a new one for each beer? I have always just got the ones already assembled in the past.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 11:38:38 pm »
Most of my beers are served at similar pressures, but I have longer ones for higher carbonated beers.  You can save them in between batches.

FWIW, I think the 3 psi rule to be way off, my 3/16" hose is more like 2 psi or less.  Until you get a feel for it, you're better off starting long and cutting to fit, you can't really add hose easily if your line is too short.  YMMV
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2010, 07:33:02 am »
If your line is too short, you can bend it or put a clamp on it to increase the resistence, or raise the point of dispense relative to the source.  It's better to have it the right length, but that's a quick way to troubleshoot your line if that's all you have at the moment.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2010, 05:36:40 pm »
Is there a formula/ratio of how many of the epoxy mixers to use to compensate for a certain pressure level? ???
You know, 15 psi @ 38F with 3 mixers requires "X" feet of 3/16" line.
Or is everybody just using trial and error to see what works?

Cheers........

Trial and error for me.  At 44F and 25-30PSI...  4 mixers in the dip tube w/ 10' of 3/16" line has been working pretty well on my Belgians.