Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: acrid/ashy character?  (Read 3163 times)

RPIScotty

acrid/ashy character?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2016, 06:32:50 pm »

Dumb questions so I apologize - I assume you entered your grist, lovibonds, and volumes into Brunwater correctly?  Weighed out salts correctly? Also, I learned a new lesson on Brunwater this week that I should've figured out by now- that it's more accurate if you subtract your boiloff rate from your sparge volume in the software. What is your boiloff rate? Martin said that higher boiloff rates will concentrate the water additions, which seems obvious but wasn't to me. Concentrated additions could = undesireable results. Also, I'm surprised that Carafa III @ 3.8% would ever come off as acrid and unpleasant, having so little roast. The last stout I brewed had almost 11% of combined chocolate and roasted barley and was like chocolatey espresso. What profile did you go with - black balanced ? Just wondering.

Edited for grammar and dumbassery.

Can you elaborate on the Bru'n Water trick a bit?

During conversation of salt additions and concentrations, it became evident that perhaps one could end up with a more concentrated mineral adjusted wort because of amount of boil off. To compensate, it may be prudent to reduce sparge water by the amount of your projected boil off, therefore reducing your total mineral additions to desired levels.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Got it. Or if you only treat the mash water, then reduce that amount by your boil off, yes?

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
Re: acrid/ashy character?
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2016, 06:33:39 pm »
Sure. Total additions can be for mash and sparge or just mash.

Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2016, 06:33:55 pm »
Here's the thread :  https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=26109.0

Some of us have agreed that the higher sulfate amounts that we thought we were adding for hop focused beers seemed overly minerally. Martin, being the water guru , pointed out that a boiloff rate that's too much would concentrate those water additions excessively. Gotta say, the post about Bamforth recommending a HIGHER boiloff rate seems a big contradiction. But Steve and Martin's recommendation to subtract the boiloff rate from the declared sparge volume in Brunwater should nullify boiloff rate.
Jon H.

RPIScotty

« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2016, 06:35:08 pm »

Sure. Total additions can be for mash and sparge or just mash.

Good to know. I've got my own little water adjustment sheet that I use and that is a useful tidbit.

Offline Brink151

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2016, 07:58:27 am »
Several Brews ago I tasted almost the exact same thing.  I wish I could remember what we brewed.  But I do remember that we adjusted the the sparg to account for the boil off on our next batch.  So I'm inclined to agree that an adjustment here to account for boil off may do the trick.
“There is no such thing as a bad beer. It’s that some taste better than others.” - Bill Carter

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2016, 09:50:22 am »
Here's the thread :  https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=26109.0

Some of us have agreed that the higher sulfate amounts that we thought we were adding for hop focused beers seemed overly minerally. Martin, being the water guru , pointed out that a boiloff rate that's too much would concentrate those water additions excessively. Gotta say, the post about Bamforth recommending a HIGHER boiloff rate seems a big contradiction. But Steve and Martin's recommendation to subtract the boiloff rate from the declared sparge volume in Brunwater should nullify boiloff rate.

I often wonder how much of his, and some others, info relates to commercial brewing more than homebrewing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

BurghBeezer

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2016, 09:51:48 am »
Thanks guys. There is some Amber malt in here which I am not terribly familiar with. That is the only ingredient in this recipe that I haven't used extensively. 

Amber malt is roastier to me than Carafa III.

+1 Amber malt is quite potent

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2016, 09:55:13 am »

I often wonder how much of his, and some others, info relates to commercial brewing more than homebrewing.

I do too, Denny. I'm not gonna shoot for some crazy boil off. My utilization is good enough to be reliable, no DMS issues. Works for me.
Jon H.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2016, 06:31:26 pm »
I've gotten this in dark beers before too, my last schwarzbier had it. I only used blackprinz in the grist for dark malt. It was unpleasant and did not age out. I don't know what caused it, but I don't want it in my beer.
Jesse