Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PH differences in Water Software  (Read 5654 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: PH differences in Water Software
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2016, 05:48:02 pm »

So, when I open the BrunWater spreadsheet on your dropbox it shows the predicted mash pH of 5.22.  Not sure where you got 4.97?

I updated the Dropbox upload...I didn't include the acid addition previously. Fixed now.

Ah, that makes sense.  It would have been perfect without the acid
dammit!

OMG!  Isn't that what I've been trying to communicate all along! ;)
Trent, still anxious to hear your brewing background and where you got your PH know how!

RPIScotty

« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2016, 06:13:22 pm »

So, when I open the BrunWater spreadsheet on your dropbox it shows the predicted mash pH of 5.22.  Not sure where you got 4.97?

I updated the Dropbox upload...I didn't include the acid addition previously. Fixed now.

dammit!

Trent, still anxious to hear your brewing background and where you got your PH know how!

Me too. We typically introduce ourselves first.

narvin

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2016, 06:39:44 pm »

dammit!

It's hard to tell, you were also suggesting to use pickling lime in a pale ale which I think would be very easy to overshoot.  The original brunwater spreadsheet he posted was fine without it if he wanted to clone that water profile.  I wouldn't guess that 150ppm of both sulfate and chloride would be good, but someone else did it and apparently liked the results.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2016, 06:44:44 pm by narvin »

trentm

« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2016, 03:54:40 pm »
It's hard to tell, you were also suggesting to use pickling lime in a pale ale which I think would be very easy to overshoot.  The original brunwater spreadsheet he posted was fine without it if he wanted to clone that water profile.  I wouldn't guess that 150ppm of both sulfate and chloride would be good, but someone else did it and apparently liked the results.

Because statements like "No acid would be needed according to Bru N Water." and "No acid needed." are difficult if not impossible to interpret. ;)

Although it's an advanced technique and one I don't usually recommend if you have very little experience handling acids and adjusting your water, it can be successfully employed to increase calcium content.  Such was the case here where a water profile was to be matched.

trentm

« Reply #34 on: March 15, 2016, 04:08:01 pm »

Nothing extraordinary about my brewing background.  A friend introduced me back in '95/'96 and been brewing since. 

pH and water knowledge (increasing in technicality as time progresses) in brewing is as old as the hills and has been known by European brewers for at least the last century (plus some).

IMHO, all home-brewers and most, if not all, of the big names in home-brewing ride on the shoulders of giants (DeClerck, Briggs, Authors of old German brewing texts, etc...).
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 04:10:25 pm by trentm »