Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What styles of beer age best?  (Read 5079 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: What styles of beer age best?
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2016, 05:55:18 pm »
Lambics,  with a only 5% ABV and medium amounts of aged hops age surprisingly well due to the low pH.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2016, 02:31:30 am »
Lambics: +25 years if you like oxidation (which I do) - some barrel aged beers such as De Dolle on red wine barrels: also virtually eternal.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2016, 05:54:20 am »
Thanks everybody for the input. I am not a huge of Belgians as of right now, I have brewed 1 or 2 and tried a few commercial examples of different styles and they were decent but not my style. I don't have any experience with Barleywines, sour beers and very little IPA experience. Do you guys think a moderately strong Brown ale would hold up well for +1 years? Most of the people I would be gifting beers don't venture too far into the craft brewing seen and I don't seem them liking Belgians, a strong RIS or a complex Barleywine. I have been trying to perfect a Chestnut Brown ale that I and other family members have liked and I think it would be a good one to age once I finalize a recipe.
If their not into craft beer why give away your beer to them? Drink it yourself make them something else. I love sharing my beer and mead with someone who appreciates,its perhaps the greatest joy of homebrewing, but if their not into it its a waste of effort and money for you and a bad gift for them
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2016, 07:45:54 am »
any style that isn't in my brewhaus -unless I lose them or forget about them  ;)

they all tend to disappear too quickly to age very long.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2016, 01:12:01 pm »
The other day I came across a bottle of the first beer I ever brewed, two and a half years ago, an imperial IPA made with extract. I actually drank one third of it! But sentimentality may have played a role...
Frank P.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2016, 03:45:10 pm »
Do you guys think a moderately strong Brown ale would hold up well for +1 years? .

The last brown ale that I brewed was a Northern English brown with an O G of 1.045. I had the last bottle almost exactly one year after I brewed it. It was still really good and I have it on my list of beers to rebrew.

No oxidation after one year?  Was that in a bottle or keg?

Bottle.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2016, 04:50:16 pm »
Do you guys think a moderately strong Brown ale would hold up well for +1 years? .

The last brown ale that I brewed was a Northern English brown with an O G of 1.045. I had the last bottle almost exactly one year after I brewed it. It was still really good and I have it on my list of beers to rebrew.

Bottle.

Nice.  Your bottling skills must be excellent.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2016, 09:36:36 am »
Thanks everybody for the input. I am not a huge of Belgians as of right now, I have brewed 1 or 2 and tried a few commercial examples of different styles and they were decent but not my style. I don't have any experience with Barleywines, sour beers and very little IPA experience. Do you guys think a moderately strong Brown ale would hold up well for +1 years? Most of the people I would be gifting beers don't venture too far into the craft brewing seen and I don't seem them liking Belgians, a strong RIS or a complex Barleywine. I have been trying to perfect a Chestnut Brown ale that I and other family members have liked and I think it would be a good one to age once I finalize a recipe.
If their not into craft beer why give away your beer to them? Drink it yourself make them something else. I love sharing my beer and mead with someone who appreciates,its perhaps the greatest joy of homebrewing, but if their not into it its a waste of effort and money for you and a bad gift for them
Since I have been brewing my immediate family and close friends have all started to appreciate craft beer more because I have helped ease them into it. While some still prefer their lite lagers, some now prefer good craft beers. My dad who has only ever liked Coors and Budweiser, not regularly chooses Brooklyn Brown Ale or Dos Equis. I highly doubt however if I handed him a Belgian Tripel or Barleywine he would enjoy it because he and my other family members prefer simpler beers. For me the point of brewing isn't just to brew a beer that I like or other craft beer lover can enjoy. I want to brew beer to show people that beer can be more than a bland lite beer and help them discover the awesomeness of the craft beer world.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2016, 09:38:25 am »
Thanks for the replies everybody I will probably experiment a bit age a couple bottles of all my upcoming brews to see how they age.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2016, 09:46:06 am »
Since I have been brewing my immediate family and close friends have all started to appreciate craft beer more because I have helped ease them into it. While some still prefer their lite lagers, some now prefer good craft beers. My dad who has only ever liked Coors and Budweiser, not regularly chooses Brooklyn Brown Ale or Dos Equis. I highly doubt however if I handed him a Belgian Tripel or Barleywine he would enjoy it because he and my other family members prefer simpler beers. For me the point of brewing isn't just to brew a beer that I like or other craft beer lover can enjoy. I want to brew beer to show people that beer can be more than a bland lite beer and help them discover the awesomeness of the craft beer world.
That's a great attitude. In that case the brown ale sounds like a nice "gateway beer". Maybe for aging bump up the gravity just a bit, maybe 1.050 and the hops to match. My gateway beer growing up was Bass ale. I started drinking it when I was old enough to get in bars and wanted to try something different. It was my go to for awhile in the late eighties/early nineties until craft beer started becoming available. So maybe an English IPA, that's something with flavor but not too challenging.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2016, 10:30:53 am »
In my basement bad beers age well.
Frank P.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2016, 03:27:43 pm »
Bottle.
[/quote]
Nice.  Your bottling skills must be excellent.
[/quote]

Thank you. Like I said in an earlier post, be anal about cleaning and sanitation.
I also recently finished the last of a Tap-A-Draft brown bottle filled with maibock that had been in the T-A-D bottle for over seven months. It lost most of it's carbonation, but still tasted very good. Luckily I still have a couple of bottles left from the part that didn't go into the T-A-D.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women