Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Murkiest beer ever  (Read 8178 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Murkiest beer ever
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2016, 05:35:28 pm »
Yeasry beers and my digestion don't get a long. If I try one, I the next day I am  fart machine, it is yeast in suspension far at least part of the haze.

Yeah, I remember drinking the dregs of my bottles when I started brewing. The household was not happy the next day.
For me, it clogs up my nose something awful.  I can barely breath after some of these beers.

+2. Used to brew hefes more often in my younger years. Not so gut friendly these days.   ;)
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2016, 08:01:07 pm »
If it looks like milk shake, I do not want to drink it regardless the fancy story.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2016, 04:34:34 am »
I'm guessing in the first picture posted that's a first poor of a beer that either had  a slug of yeast from the last keg fill hit the keg or a beer that is naturally cloudy and perhaps sat for a while and is the first few poors off a keg where the yeast has settled.

I have unfortunately had the misfortune of seeing this happen on some of my beers. Our Belgian white, which we want to be cloudy, can sometimes be incredibly stubborn and is soo "milky" that it takes days of cold crashing to get to an acceptable level of "clarity". Right now, in the tap room, the beer is "murkier" than usual (though not as murky as the OP) but ikt has not detracted at all from repeat sales and does not affect the flavor at all.

Offline lenphallock

• Cellarman
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2016, 06:44:21 am »
Hopefully it's a fad and it will pass. For me, I'll just continue to not buy the beer so it doesn't effect me. Make it or not, I still like a good looking and good tasting beer and won't spend my hard earned money on one that is not either of those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2016, 08:02:03 am »
So what is the most commercially available example of this East Coast IPA 'substyle'? I would be interested to try although the murkiness is definitely not appealing to me. If the goal is to make it murky that is just strange....
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2016, 10:12:19 am »
So what is the most commercially available example of this East Coast IPA 'substyle'? I would be interested to try although the murkiness is definitely not appealing to me. If the goal is to make it murky that is just strange....

I'm not sure any of these beers are widely commercially available which is why they trade for ridiculous ransoms in trading groups.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2016, 10:28:29 am »
Since you have not yet had one of these beers I will mention this... when you finally have one pay close attention to the presentation of the hop character. It is different than what you are used to. It is very bright and juicy and there are some hop complexities there you don't get in other well made styles of IPA, even with the same hop varieties. Also pay attention to the mouthfeel. It will be very distinctive and different than really any other beer/style I am familiar with.

What is it about the brewing process that results in the cloudiness, and what is the mechanism by which it enhances the hop character and mouthfeel? 

Or is this not yet public knowledge?
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2016, 10:41:05 am »
After digging online through various 'clone' recipes for these beers, it looks like most of the haze probably comes from the large amounts of flaked oats I'm seeing - upwards of 20%. That would definitely cause the milky protein haze and mouthfeel. And undoubtedly there is some yeast haze as well.  As for the hop character, I don't buy it. Hop oils carry the hop character, period. I have a very hard time believing this protein haze has anything to do whatsoever with the hop character.

Edit - This also assumes that the rumors of brewers using wheat flour has no validity.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2016, 10:46:52 am by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2016, 10:56:13 am »
Maybe the oats are altering how the hops are perceived. You know, like how a salted tomato tastes so much better than a regular tomato.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2016, 11:10:02 am »
Possible I guess. As for the 'juicy' hop character that gets talked about with these beers, they most all seem to use British strains. I'm assuming that if they're fermented warm enough to throw the fruity esters, the esters combine with fruity, citrusy hops to exaggerate that character a bit.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2016, 09:12:11 pm »
I guess I'll be brewing an oatmeal IPA soon just to see what the big deal is. I think the "juiciness" is probably just a mouthfeel thing.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2016, 05:09:46 am »

Interesting topic.  Initially I'm not thrilled at the prospect of beer that looks like OJ. 
BUT here's a pic of a lightly hopped beer made up of 25% wheat and 25% rye malts after MONTHS of cold conditioning.  If this beer had a bit more color, a boatload of late addition hops and was served fresh, I'm betting it would be quite murky! 
Point being that this COULD be a recipe thing and not a late addition specifically trying to add haze.  If that's the case, it's just silly IMO.

Offline kmccaf

• Brewmaster
  • Kyle (Champaign, Hensley Township, Il)
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2016, 02:52:54 pm »
If it looks like milk shake, I do not want to drink it regardless the fancy story.

That's what a ceramic stein is for! No need to look at it if it is tasty enough to drink.

I brewed with Triticale once and it looked exactly like the op's picture. It was distracting to me, so we drank out of the ceramic for it.
Kyle M.