Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brew - Episode 10 You've Got Questions, We've Got "Answers" is up!  (Read 3060 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Episode 10 of our podcast is now up! On this episode we discuss session beers, beer conferences and pink washing. And then we launch into our much hyped 2 hour marathon of answering listener questions! That’s a lot of talking and a lot of “answers”!  Then it’s time for a quick tip and Drew offers up a memorial to two public figures who passed away recently. One affects your daily life, the other, maybe not so much.

http://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-10-youve-got-questions-weve-got-answers

DON’T FORGET - Give us feedback! How did we do? Did you enjoy this kind of show?

Thoughts? Comment below or send us an email at podcast@experimentalbrew.com!

if you have **questions** you want us to answer on the show  - drop us a q at questions@experimentalbrew.com!

If you want to help us with experiments - Join the *IGOR* crew - Details here - http://www.experimentalbrew.com/igors

If you want to suggest an experiment - Click this link - http://experimentalbrew.com/suggest

Listen to the podcast to find out how to help support our current charity - **Freedom Service Dogs** -http://freedomservicedogs.org

Don't forget to subscribe on iTunes or your favorite podcasting platform. And give us a rating - ratings help people find our show!

**iTunes Link:** https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/experimental-brewing/id1056223392

**Stitcher:** http://www.stitcher.com/podcast/experimental-brewing?refid=stpr

**Podcast RSS:** http://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast.rss

**Direct link to this episode:**
http://www.podtrac.com/pts/redirect.mp3/www.experimentalbrew.com/sites/default/files/ExperimentalBrewing_Episode_010_Youve_Got_Questions_Weve_Got_Answers.mp3
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
I really need to catch up on these
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Great episode! Much positive to say, but positive stuff isnt interesting. Pink washing? I say rubbish. If its that offensive that some brewery is trying to market beer for girly girls, let that brewery's customers deal with it. But what if it isn't?  What if he sells more beer, to more people, because he (or she...) happens to reach some females who embrace their girliness? Is there going to be footage of protesters lined up outside his pub? There's already enough of this etiquette policing to go around, lets let private businesses suceed or fail based on their actual customer responses rather than always seeking out some new societal wrong to right. By the way I am a manly man beer drinker who occasion identifies as a girly beer drinker, so don't be to intolerant of my thoughts. I'm still figuring it out.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2016, 04:35:45 am by klickitat jim »

RPIScotty

Great episode! Much positive to say, but positive stuff isnt interesting. Pink washing? I say rubbish. If its that offensive that some brewery is trying to market beer for girly girls, let that brewery's customers deal with it. But what if it isn't?  What if he sells more beer, to more people, because he (or she...) happens to reach some females who embrace their girliness? Is there going to be footage of protesters lined up outside his pub? There's already enough of this etiquette policing to go around, lets let private businesses suceed or fail based on their actual customer responses rather than always seeking out some new societal wrong to right. By the way I am a manly man beer drinker who occasion identifies as a girly beer drinker, so don't be to intolerant of my thoughts. I'm still figuring it out.

I agree with you on this Jim.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here

I agree with you on this Jim.
Wheeeeeeee! That makes two of us.

Ignore me, im at the bottom of a magnum of Elevation-False Summit. Freeby 11% barrel aged quad I brought home from Best of Craft. Long story...

Anecdote: We, the wife and I, went to the Bend Beerfest last summer. Butt load of beers... one was Hell or High Watermelon. Clearly a girly girl beer, marketed as a manly man beer. Hadn't tried it so I stumbled over there. The line was 5 wide and 20 yards long, all chicks. Hot chicks! But, like, my daughter, like, aged chicks.  I, like, felt, like, an out of place grandpa. Grabbed, like, our samples and hauled ass... sip, meh. Whatever, decent beer, nothing to write home about. What does that prove? Mmmmmmaybe that chicks see "watermelon" and come running, and dudes ignore "hell" because it also says watermelon. Maybe? Maybe not

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Well, y'all are welcome to see it as not a problem. I tend to see it as a long term problem and as a laziness thing. It's so freaking lazy and stupid and needlessly off putting. May be wise tactically but dumb strategically.
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

RPIScotty

I'm curious to know what your referring to when you say "problem" Drew. Obviously you guys didn't spend much time on the show about it but you seem to have much more established and strong opinions on this matter.

The person in question is definitely taking a certain approach. I'm of the opinion that no matter what business your in you should speak with a certain degree of tact and dignity indicative of your position.

I guess I can better form an opinion if I'm privy to the problem statement.

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Great job! That feeling when you're driving down the highway and you hear "our next question comes from Justin McLeod"  ;D Aside from almost veering off the road, that was funny!

Kudos to both of you guys for keeping it really interesting and fun. Also, job well done to Denny for pronouncing my last name correctly! Welp, my 30 seconds of fame are over.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
I'm curious to know what your referring to when you say "problem" Drew. Obviously you guys didn't spend much time on the show about it but you seem to have much more established and strong opinions on this matter.

The person in question is definitely taking a certain approach. I'm of the opinion that no matter what business your in you should speak with a certain degree of tact and dignity indicative of your position.

Well, I think I said it on the show or I said it somewhere else I got asked, but I'm very much an old school feminist so my hackles automatically get raised up so it's a problem to me, but.. I think it's a problem long term about class. For all the years I've been involved in beer there's been a desire to escape the "sex sells, beach bimbo" imagery. In other words, classing up the joint to be more inclusive and welcoming. Plus, to my mind it helps with longevity of the consumer audience because of the level of maturity generally rises.

Really what it comes down to - I find the sexist silliness to be classless and offputting. I'm tired of having to defend myself as not a boor because I love beer so. (Never have to do that with wine or spirits - which is a problem for long term stability) I know a number of people who feel the same way. There are plenty of folks who don't too, but hey the podcast is my platform so my opinion rules! :) (I'm not normally so much a stick in the mud, but yee gods I've seen this for so long it's irritating)

Great job! That feeling when you're driving down the highway and you hear "our next question comes from Justin McLeod"  ;D Aside from almost veering off the road, that was funny!

Kudos to both of you guys for keeping it really interesting and fun. Also, job well done to Denny for pronouncing my last name correctly! Welp, my 30 seconds of fame are over.

Thanks for the awesome response. We're having fun and hopefully that shows! We have more content coming and a few fun ideas to play with - hopefully it works!
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
We have more content coming and a few fun ideas to play with - hopefully it works!

It's working right now really well, Drew. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. You guys have obviously developed a great rapport over the years and it shows. Good stuff !
Jon H.

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
It's working right now really well, Drew. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. You guys have obviously developed a great rapport over the years and it shows. Good stuff !

At this point I think I've spent more time talking to Denny than anyone other than my wife. Heck, I think I talk to him more than I talk to my dogs and I talk to them a ton. :)
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
That's a lot then. I talk to my dogs a ton, too.   ;D 
Jon H.

RPIScotty

Well, I think I said it on the show or I said it somewhere else I got asked, but I'm very much an old school feminist so my hackles automatically get raised up so it's a problem to me, but.. I think it's a problem long term about class. For all the years I've been involved in beer there's been a desire to escape the "sex sells, beach bimbo" imagery. In other words, classing up the joint to be more inclusive and welcoming. Plus, to my mind it helps with longevity of the consumer audience because of the level of maturity generally rises.

Really what it comes down to - I find the sexist silliness to be classless and offputting. I'm tired of having to defend myself as not a boor because I love beer so. (Never have to do that with wine or spirits - which is a problem for long term stability) I know a number of people who feel the same way. There are plenty of folks who don't too, but hey the podcast is my platform so my opinion rules! :) (I'm not normally so much a stick in the mud, but yee gods I've seen this for so long it's irritating)

Thanks for the awesome response. We're having fun and hopefully that shows! We have more content coming and a few fun ideas to play with - hopefully it works!

Don't me wrong Drew, I'm a huge fan of the show and you and Denny. Just wanted you to elaborate more is all. Just seemed like there was more meat to your opinion.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
To be clear, I support Drew's right to the position and im not worked up about it. I just personally disagree that its a problem. Plus its always more interesting to discuss things we disagree on, usually.

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
Blondes: My stance is that it's a bit annoying and old school. I don't think it's doing anything to make craft beer more inclusive towards women.

All I could think about was doing a blonde ale and making it some sort of Adonis type guy on it in a parody of a sexy pose, or an overweight guy in a bikini or something.

I'm not that familiar with pod casts, this is actually the first one I ever listened to, but is there a way to like preload/buffer/download them so I can listen to them in the car without having to use all my data? I have a long-ish commute and usually do audiobooks but some podcasts would be a nice change of pace occasionally. I only got about 40% into the episode before my buffered portion was used up.