Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Conical fermenters, anyone use them in this forum?  (Read 4873 times)

Offline Bill H

• 1st Kit
Conical fermenters, anyone use them in this forum?
« on: March 17, 2016, 10:10:01 am »
I'm thinking that my next investment will be a conical Fermentor  Will be my next investment. I like the idea of doing a yeast harvest/dump, and doing a secondary in the same vessel. Plus the ability to easily to a sample for SG testing, or doing a transfer for bottling. The one I'm leaning towards is from Brewdemon.com. There are better ones, more fancy, along with more pricey options, that for now are not a big factor.

Link to what I'm considering: https://www.brewdemon.com/equipment/all-equipment/fermetation-equipment/6-gal-amber-conical-fermenting-system.html

If you have one, use one, have thoughts, ideas, suggestions for me chime in. The way I see it if I got the taller legs, optional vent option, and the yeast collector, that would be a nice combo to have.
Bloatarian Brewing League

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Conical fermenters, anyone use them in this forum?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 12:33:18 pm »
That particular item doesn't seem to offer me anything that is worth ~100 more than a good old 7 gallon bucket. If I was going to get conicals I think I'd probably go with stainless personally. but if you get one post a review and others can learn.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 01:19:03 pm »
I mainly brew 3 gallon batches, and a 5-gallon keg gives me everything that a conical can except for the yeast harvesting. The best part is that I can set my PRV to 15 PSI at the tail end of fermentation and have a mostly-carbed beer when I jump it to my serving keg. For low-carbed styles, I have poured it immediately after jumping off the sediment.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline swampale

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 05:39:22 am »
I bought my 14 g conical in 2005. I rarely use carboys anymore. Re-using yeast is easy and quick. I like using C02 to transfer to my kegs too. I use a thermowell in a stopper, so sampling is a little difficult but not impossible. All in all, my best investment I have ever made.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 06:25:56 am »
I have a stainless 12 gal Blichman conical and the only reason I switched to it was the fear of broken glass. Having brewed in carboys for about 3 years, I recognized that I was playing with fire and the potential for debilitating injury persuaded me to switch. Unfortunately, plastic was not a material that is suited for breweries. So stainless steel was it.

I don't think a conical offers much at the homebrewer's scale of brewing. I don't draw off yeast since I don't keep the beer on the lees that long and if I removed the yeast, I wouldn't be able to get the beer out of the cone below the racking port.

To tell you the truth, I think that I would go with a big stainless vessel that is more akin to a bucket...like Brew Bucket or similar.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 07:56:50 am »
Stay away from plastic conicals. They are not worth the price. There are some advantages with stainless conicals but not much on the homebrew level. If you can get an actual stand alone temp control conical then I would say that it is worth it. If not, buckets, carboys, spiedels - those are the better options for homebrewers.

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 09:32:57 am »
I don't understand the appeal, I prefer to spend my money on more effective things. I ferment in buckets, or stainless pots, and age in kegs. Find a store that sells inexpensive stock pots, and use that for fermentation. Benefits of stainless, without having to spend a fortune.

Offline yso191

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Yakima, WA
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 09:38:08 am »
 For the price I would go with a spiedel.  I have one and if used it quite a bit and really like it. However I've had to conical stainless fermenters.  My current one is a Chronical 7 gallon.   I love it.  Easy to clean, can transfer under CO2 pressure. It's just a very well-designed unit
Steve
BJCP #D1667

“Fallacies do not cease to be fallacies because they become fashions.” ― G.K. Chesterton

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 09:56:27 am »
Speaking of alternative fermenters, Brewcraft has just started shipping the Genesis.  Looks good.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 10:40:24 am »
Speaking of alternative fermenters, Brewcraft has just started shipping the Genesis.  Looks good.

I hadn't heard of that but just checked it out.  I don't really like the idea of a one-time use disposable liner; it seems kind of wasteful.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 10:46:54 am »
I remember someone advocating fermenting in a new garbage can liner a few years ago. As long as that bag is leak free, that seems like it could be a good option for a fermentation vessel. Placing some sort of flat plate over the top of the container should serve to keep infectors out.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2016, 10:49:54 am »

I hadn't heard of that but just checked it out.  I don't really like the idea of a one-time use disposable liner; it seems kind of wasteful.
Yeah, I understand why someone would be interested in that, but it's not my cup of tea. Star-San before and PBW after has been doing me just fine.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2016, 11:12:45 am »

any idea on pricing? The site didn't list the package price or the replacement bags.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2016, 11:13:52 am »

Agreed, but you don't have to use it.  It's an option.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2016, 11:15:22 am »

any idea on pricing? The site didn't list the package price or the replacement bags.

I used to know the price, but can't recall.  I'll find out.  I do know the liners are $5.  Kinda expensive, but each person gets to choose convenience or effort.  I think I'd be unlikely to use the liners most of the time.

www.dennybrew.com