Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: historic beer headed to Austin, TX  (Read 1575 times)

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
historic beer headed to Austin, TX
« on: March 17, 2016, 10:32:39 am »
http://austin.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/03-16-16-christine-celis-opens-new-flemish-fox-brewery-austin-craftworks-wheat-beer-pierre-celis-atwater/#slide=2

This will be the 5th brewery within 2 miles of my house. Interesting concept to have a museum alongside a brewery. Some cool pictures of her dad's old cast-iron mash tun and copper kettle are in the article. Not sure what the association is with Atwater Brewing other than them perhaps kicking in capital for space for a satellite brewery location. Haven't been all that impressed with the Atwater stuff I've had from the bottle shops down here but I've only had a few.

Anyone been in/around Austin long enough to remember the Celis name? I've only lived here for 6 years.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: historic beer headed to Austin, TX
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 12:38:07 pm »
I do!

Pierre Celis Pale Bock, Grand Cru and a Raspberry Witbier. It was really cutting edge beer and I remember enjoying quite a bit of it. Was amazed to find that the brewery closed.

Then I got some in 2010? that was contract-brewed. It wasn't as good and I haven't seen it since.

Glad to hear she's making a go of it again.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 01:24:31 pm »
I'm from Louisiana, but one of my fondest beer memories was hanging out with Pierre on the pub crawl at the 1995 Dixie Cup in Houston.  Really cool guy.  It was a travesty what Miller did to his brewery.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 01:36:57 pm »
I do!

Pierre Celis Pale Bock, Grand Cru and a Raspberry Witbier. It was really cutting edge beer and I remember enjoying quite a bit of it. Was amazed to find that the brewery closed.

Then I got some in 2010? that was contract-brewed. It wasn't as good and I haven't seen it since.

Don't forget Celis Wit.

The Celis name and equipment were bought from Miller by Michigan Brewing. Pierre help them get the Wit up and running, working with Brewer Dan Rogers. When Dan Rogers left, the Celis labels suffered in quality. Dan is at Griffin Claw in MI, and makes a darn fine Wit. Go figure.

Michigan Brewing Co. went under a few years back.

Saw this a few days ago.
http://www.michiganbeerguide.com/?news&newsID=1359
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:13:03 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 04:00:21 pm »
Ah lol my memory fades after 20ish years.

And Pierre Celis was known for his Wit.

Bet it will be a cool place to work.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 07:31:00 pm »
I toured his brewery in Austin way back when.  I was impressed with the contrast between old world mashing equipment and modern lab.
I met Pierre at a pub at GABF one year, and I was so drunk at the time my friends thought I was going to kiss him or something.  It was a big moment for me.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Pricelessbrewing

• Assistant Brewer
  • BrewersFriend
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2016, 08:08:49 pm »
I do!

Don't forget Celis Wit.

The Celis name and equipment were bought from Miller by Michigan Brewing. Pierre help them get the Wit up and running, working with Brewer Dan Rogers. When Dan Rogers left, the Celis labels suffered in quality. Dan is at Griffin Claw in MI, and makes a darn fine Wit. Go figure.
Q

Saw this a few days ago.

Griffin claw is freaking amazing. I've never had anything close to a bad beer on tap there

Atwater I'm not so sure if, never been to their taproot but their bottles are not nearly as good as their drafts.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 05:18:36 am »
I do!

Don't forget Celis Wit.

Q

Saw this a few days ago.

Griffin claw is freaking amazing. I've never had anything close to a bad beer on tap there

Atwater I'm not so sure if, never been to their taproot but their bottles are not nearly as good as their drafts.

Griffin Claw does a pretty good job. Talked to the lead Brewer, who said they are doing a big expansion soon.

Atwater has been up and down for me. The new(-ish) owner wants to expand, and they have added a brewpub on the east side, and are even doing a place in Grand Rapids.
http://woodtv.com/2015/09/24/atwater-brewery-to-open-biergarten-tap-house-in-downtown-gr/

Atwater has been talking about a Texas facility for a while.
http://www.brewbound.com/news/atwater-brewery-plans-15-million-texas-brewery

Last time we were in Austin, we stopped at Craft Pride which is all TX craft beer. The food truck in the back was 313 Pizza. That is Detroit's area code, and they do Detroit style Pizza. It gave us a laugh.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2016, 05:23:18 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!