Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: add cubes to primary or secondary?  (Read 1305 times)

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
add cubes to primary or secondary?
« on: April 04, 2023, 07:17:04 pm »
i saw some very old threads here and there about primary affecting the results of oak, but i believe one of the times i really enjoyed an oaked beer was when i added the cubes to primary. i'd prefer to do primary since i think im starting to realize the value of no-secondarying finally for some beers.

thoughts in 2023?

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: add cubes to primary or secondary?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2023, 10:34:48 pm »
I use the directions here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/new-holland-dragons-milk-bourbon-barrel-aged-stout/ for preparing oak chips. If you don't want the bourbon flavor you can use more oak and less bourbon, soak the chips in the bourbon for 2 weeks and add all the chips and the bourbon to the beer for a few days or more. You can get some heavy oak flavors if you do that. No secondary needed.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2023, 07:02:00 am »
When people register for this forum they should get this message: "Welcome to the AHA Forum, No secondary is needed and in fact may be harmful (unless maybe adding fruit. By why not just add it late in primary?)
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2023, 07:37:39 am »

I use the directions here: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-recipe/new-holland-dragons-milk-bourbon-barrel-aged-stout/ for preparing oak chips. If you don't want the bourbon flavor you can use more oak and less bourbon, soak the chips in the bourbon for 2 weeks and add all the chips and the bourbon to the beer for a few days or more. You can get some heavy oak flavors if you do that. No secondary needed.

thanks for the link, i may soak in whiskey, but i was extremely happy with what i did previously, toasting 3oz in the oven at 400f for 40 minutes and 2 weeks. this time.around im aiming for 4oz at the same temp n time and sitting on the beer for 4 weeks. will likely add to primary after fermentation is visibly over

When people register for this forum they should get this message: "Welcome to the AHA Forum, No secondary is needed and in fact may be harmful (unless maybe adding fruit. By why not just add it late in primary?)

lol, i know. but i still actually stand by secondary for when i want beers to be definitely clear and with very little yeast left. ie. a basic pale lager qnd depending on the yeast, though i am increasingly going no-secondary

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2023, 10:37:49 pm »
...toasting 3oz in the oven at 400f for 40 minutes and 2 weeks.

40 minutes and 2 weeks is way too long at 400F. It'll be burnt to a crisp by then.

j/k ;)
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.