Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer comp "fine print"  (Read 2818 times)

Offline troybinso

• Brewer
Re: Beer comp "fine print"
« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2016, 08:48:32 pm »
Anyone who thinks a printed out recipe is worth something hasn't brewed enough to know they are wrong.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: March 23, 2016, 08:59:32 pm »
I have found that all really good Brewers will give up all of the secrets about their beer.  They don't worry about someone stealing their secrets.  Some Brewers will even give water adjustments based on RO.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2016, 10:00:36 pm »
I have found that all really good Brewers will give up all of the secrets about their beer.  They don't worry about someone stealing their secrets.  Some Brewers will even give water adjustments based on RO.
Homebrewers at least. Occasionally someone claims a special secret, but usually they don't have a sample of the amazing secret beer with them... so, who knows right?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2016, 06:07:18 am »
You guys are nicer then me. I make them work for recipes. Amanda received a long-winded diatribe about dark malts before I gave her the recipe a couple weeks later.  I think of it as the timeshare presentation she had to sit through for Disney World tix.   ;D

Ha..... just like that free invitation to Branson, MI. 
So, I just got lucky when I had the privilege of tasting your beers - no diatribe, just beer ;)

Branson MO!
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline theDarkSide

• Derry, NH
« Reply #19 on: March 24, 2016, 06:45:32 am »
Sounds like Long Shot rules.  No big deal as far as I'm concerned since I'm not planning on going commercial with any of my recipes.

Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2016, 07:57:10 am »
As soon as they scale it up to pro scale, you'll find that malt ratios change, hop utilization changes, extraction efficiency changes, etc.  For example, your carefully tweaked amount X oz of XYZ malt gets rounded to N sacks (where N is a whole number) and your hop measurements get rounded to Y lbs.  Your mash hop regimen gets changed to a FWH addition because its too expensive and it chokes their mash tun.

All it takes is just one or 2 of these changes and it really ceases to be yours and becomes their recipe anyways.  Don't sweat it.  The long lost "von Wolfhausen family recipe" like you see in Beerfest doesn't exist.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2016, 08:29:45 am »

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2016, 09:45:58 am »
All that language means is that you won't have a financial interest in anything the brewery does with your recipe in the future. No enterprising lawsuits to claim a right to compensation for giving the brewery the recipe.

I would think about entering a competition where the recipe you crafted from another local brewery might be brewed by that brewery's competitor in its own market. It could dilute the market for that brewery's beer. At worst it could be financially harmful and at best it could sour any desire to help out homebrewers in the future.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing