Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whole Coffee Beans  (Read 4550 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Whole Coffee Beans
« on: March 17, 2016, 04:20:00 pm »
I've decided to add some whole coffee beans to my Mild in a last ditch effort to make this batch more interesting before this weekend!

It seems that the advice on how much to use is all over the place (some even just adding cold brewed coffee right to the keg). I'd like to throw some in a muslin bag and add them to my keg for 12-24 hours. Any thoughts on the amount to use for a 5 gallon batch?

Cheers!

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Whole Coffee Beans
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2016, 06:33:15 pm »
I coarsley crushed 4 ounces of Brazilian beans in 4 gallons of Imperial Porter and it came through well.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2016, 07:10:38 pm »

I coarsley crushed 4 ounces of Brazilian beans in 4 gallons of Imperial Porter and it came through well.
Did you use a bag or toss in keg?

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2016, 07:26:48 pm »
I tossed them into a carboy loose, let it rest for 5 or 6 days, then syphoned to a keg.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2016, 09:18:42 pm »
Would using coffee beans in a lighter colored beer affect the color at all? I have seen a few recipes for a coffee blonde that sounds interesting.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 04:19:04 am »
Whole or coarsley crushed beans don't add much color.  Coppertail makes a coffee IPA that is delicious.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 07:35:08 am »
I used 2 oz in a porter and was very pleased. I could taste both the coffee and the porter. While carbonated alcoholic coffee is tasty as a novelty, if I have to drink a keg of it I want to taste beer and coffee.

I added whole coffee beans to the serving keg and kept it in there for 1 or 2 days. After a few weeks the coffee faded and left a weird aftertaste.  I think I would have been better off using a smaller amount of coffee and leaving the coffee in the keg until the keg kicked.

Sent from my XT1095 using Tapatalk

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
Whole Coffee Beans
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 08:39:13 am »
similar to Jeffy.  I took 3 gal of 10 of my RIS and put dried mission figs and coarsely crushed espresso beans in it, the beans at a rate of 1oz/gal for 4-5 days (figs were in for longer).

its definitely got coffee in the aroma, and I think I like this method of dry beaning much better than using brewed coffee or coffee added to the mash.  then again, I usually huff on bags of coffee beans when I open them - opening a new bag is almost as good as exciting as a new bag of hops.

Edit:  checked my notes - I did 3 days not 4-5.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 12:29:43 pm by blatz »
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 09:14:18 am »
1 oz/gal is usually the right volume for post-fermentation additions. 12-48 hours is enough and you should start tasting at twelve hours and every eight to twelve hours after and pull the coffee when you're happy with the flavor. Leaving the coffee beans too long can result in at best an overpowering flavor and at worst an overcooked coffee flavor.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 09:24:15 am »
My local coffee guy says you'll get everything the beans have to offer in 24 hours.

Make sure you use beans from a coffee that you enjoy.  If you haven't tried the beans yet, make a cup or two before committing them to 5 gallons of beer.  I've made that mistake.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2016, 11:33:23 am »

Would using coffee beans in a lighter colored beer affect the color at all? I have seen a few recipes for a coffee blonde that sounds interesting.
There is brewery in Orange County that has a beer with coffee and it is light. My guess is whole beans for a short time.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 10:02:16 am »

There is brewery in Orange County that has a beer with coffee and it is light. My guess is whole beans for a short time.

I read somewhere that you can get (or make) very lightly roasted coffee beans that add flavor and very little color.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2016, 11:08:05 am »
I read somewhere that you can get (or make) very lightly roasted coffee beans that add flavor and very little color.

You have to be careful with lighter roasts in cold applications. Depending on the bean, lighter roasts may have a fair amount of pyrazines that haven't been burnt off. Those smell like green pepper, jalapeno, etc. Can be quite distracting.

http://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/drew/coffee-and-jalapenos
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2016, 12:28:51 pm »

My local coffee guy says you'll get everything the beans have to offer in 24 hours.

Make sure you use beans from a coffee that you enjoy.  If you haven't tried the beans yet, make a cup or two before committing them to 5 gallons of beer.  I've made that mistake.

The RIS stout I made, I put half the batch into shortie kegs, the other half into a regular keg.  I gave one of the shorties to a friend - that one I only dry beaned for 30 hours. The one I kept for myself I dry beamed for 3 days.  My friend texted me that the coffee is very subtle and he thinks it could have gone longer.  Mine is definitely there - not exactly overpowering but if you don't like espresso this might not be for you.  Mostly it's aroma not flavor.

Just thought I'd share that tidbit.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2016, 04:21:15 pm »

You have to be careful with lighter roasts in cold applications. Depending on the bean, lighter roasts may have a fair amount of pyrazines that haven't been burnt off. Those smell like green pepper, jalapeno, etc. Can be quite distracting.

http://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/drew/coffee-and-jalapenos
Several people at our last club meeting tasted bell peppers in my coffee Imperial Porter.  Thanks for the article.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995