Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: motueka  (Read 972 times)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
motueka
« on: May 16, 2016, 04:29:05 am »
2 oz of Motueka and want to try a quick and easy 1 gal dme batch to taste up this hop.  Anybody used? enjoy? love? love to hate? is it juicy? ;) (*Edit I was totally kidding btw)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 12:30:28 pm by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline dshepard

• Cellarman
  • Concord, NC
Re: motueka
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2016, 04:42:44 pm »
I made the Summer Rye recipe in Gordon Strong's book and to be totally honest I personally can't taste the Motueka. I did it per the recipe and put all the hops in at flameout. There is no bitterness, I am not sure I can taste or smell anything. It will be a good summer lawnmower beer. If you are a hophead you will need more than the recipe called for (4 ozs for 20 minutes before chilling in 11.5 gallons.)

This was my first time using them.
Concord, NC

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: motueka
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2016, 06:51:16 pm »
Motueka is one of my all-time favorite hops. It is a daughter of Saaz, and has a lot of that spicy/herbal noble hop character. But then it has a nice layer of lime zest and lemongrass on top of that. It's not super oily and will easily get lost alongside other hops in an IPA blend. But on its own or paired with a hop like Sterling or Mandarina Bavaria it is fantastic. It makes a great hoppy lager or APA.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer