Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Whole Coffee Beans  (Read 4551 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
Re: Whole Coffee Beans
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2016, 04:21:40 pm »
In my experience, the best way to add coffee to beer is to make cold brewed coffee at home and add it to the keg. To cold brew: french press regular ground coffee overnight at room temperature with twice the normal amount of coffee, then press it and pour it through a coffee filter. IME, one 20 oz French press's worth of concentrated cold brew is good for a keg, but I'd bet you could use half as much and still taste it.

Offline amichuda

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2016, 11:02:32 am »
Mike Tonsmeire and the Modern Times team presented on coffee and beer at the last NHC. The audio and PPT are online here. They suggest whole beans @ 2-5 oz / 5 gallons for 24-48 hours right before packaging.

I tried this on a small scale by adding a couple grams of whole beans directly to a bottle of Boulevard's - The Sixth Glass, recapping, and storing for 24 hours. It was delicious. I'm also thinking of making a mild with some coffee added just before kegging.

Offline ultravista

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2016, 06:16:39 pm »
Mike Tonsmeire and the Modern Times team presented on coffee and beer at the last NHC. The audio and PPT are online here. They suggest whole beans @ 2-5 oz / 5 gallons for 24-48 hours right before packaging.

I tried this on a small scale by adding a couple grams of whole beans directly to a bottle of Boulevard's - The Sixth Glass, recapping, and storing for 24 hours. It was delicious. I'm also thinking of making a mild with some coffee added just before kegging.

Online here where? Have a link?

Offline riceral

• Brewer
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 06:44:53 pm »

Online here where? Have a link?

Try here:http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/how-to-brew/resources/conference-seminars/
      Look in the 2015 presentations for:  Brewing with Coffee: Approaches & Techniques from Dry-Beaning to Home Roasting by Jacob McKean, Amy Krone & Michael Tonsmeire

Note: You have to be an AHA member to access past presentations.
Ralph R.

Offline hangdog10

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2016, 07:22:35 am »
I just listened to a podcast where they talked about adding coarse ground coffee beans to the mash. Says that it adds a much smoother flavor. Not sure of the amount, but I may give this a try on the next batch of coffee stout.

Offline duelerx

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2016, 06:09:44 pm »
For dry beaning is it necessary to sanitise the beans?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2016, 06:15:03 pm »
For dry beaning is it necessary to sanitise the beans?

I never have and have never had an issue. Don't bother. The quicker you can get that aroma and flavor into your beer, the better.
Jon H.