Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Drew's Weight Loss  (Read 11399 times)

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Drew's Weight Loss
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2016, 05:19:25 pm »
Anyone who wants to, can now listen to episode 11 of the podcast and you'll hear me talk about it all late in the show.

http://www.experimentalbrew.com/podcast/episode-11-first-hops-then-rodney
Thanks Drew

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2016, 03:23:09 am »
I listened to the weight loss "testimony". Thanks, Drew. Inspiring and motivational. As Yoda said, "There is not try, only do." I'm going to do it. Its time. Appreciate it buddy!

Offline fadilale

• 1st Kit
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2022, 07:33:44 am »
It is worth following a few simple rules to get real results, don't get upset about incredible gains, and don't do it daily. All weight measurements should be done simultaneously every time, necessarily on an empty stomach and before exercise. The most ideal time is in the morning. It is best to choose electronic scales, as they are more accurate and show the weight accurately to the grams, I chose smart scales vont.com. Also, after weighing, you need to measure the main parameters of the body in centimeters. This way, you can be more accurate in tracking changes in your figure. What do you recommend?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 01:10:47 am by fadilale »

Offline redrocker652002

• Brewmaster
« Reply #63 on: May 27, 2022, 08:02:58 am »
My way of doing it was pretty simple.  Cut down on the crap foods and get moving.  I work graveyards so my schedule get's messed up.  I started working out on my meal break.  30 minutes on the Peleton and a quick shower then back to work.  Couple of pieces of fruit, a granola bar and a yogurt was my snacks for the night.  My time off, I walk at least 45 minutes a day, with part of the walk a nice incline that gets the heart pumping a bit.  I stopped grazing on chips and crap food while awake and drank a lot more water.  My beer consumption has not changed much, but with some pretty easy changes in my habits I have been able to lose about 20 pounds and still going.  I was at about 230 last summer, now down to 205 and looking to get to 200 soon.  My ultimate goal is to get to 180, but that is a bit away.  For me, it was just changing some things in my life that made me better. 

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2022, 10:19:46 am »
My way of doing it was pretty simple.  Cut down on the crap foods and get moving.  I work graveyards so my schedule get's messed up.  I started working out on my meal break.  30 minutes on the Peleton and a quick shower then back to work.  Couple of pieces of fruit, a granola bar and a yogurt was my snacks for the night.  My time off, I walk at least 45 minutes a day, with part of the walk a nice incline that gets the heart pumping a bit.  I stopped grazing on chips and crap food while awake and drank a lot more water.  My beer consumption has not changed much, but with some pretty easy changes in my habits I have been able to lose about 20 pounds and still going.  I was at about 230 last summer, now down to 205 and looking to get to 200 soon.  My ultimate goal is to get to 180, but that is a bit away.  For me, it was just changing some things in my life that made me better.

I followed pretty much the same strategy...I was up between 225 and 230, and on the cusp of 40 years old. I started doing 30 minutes on an exercise bike 5 times a week, and just watch what I eat a bit more carefully. I've reduced some alcohol consumption (also good for my liver), most specifically not drinking after 7 pm on most days (Fridays and Saturdays are an exception!). I love a good G&T, and make my own (lower sugar) tonic syrup and will mix in some of the non-alcoholic "gin" options as a pretty decent substitute. I've never been a high-ABV person overall, but I'll still enjoy plenty of lower-ABV homebrew.

Making exercise a routine sure helped, and I'll either center it around some reading for work or watch a show on my computer. I dropped about 20 pounds with this strategy...a bit of that is back on this month, but field season is right around the corner so 3 to 4 weeks of daily hiking and breaking rocks in the sun should hit the "reset" button there! Weight aside (and I try to focus on the overall health benefits of exercise, not just weight), I feel much better overall. And if the extra cardio adds a few years onto my life, that's all the more time for enjoying homebrew!
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #65 on: July 29, 2022, 08:13:53 am »
I was sitting at 250. I used the Drink Beer Get Thin Diet. It’s an old book by Bob Skilnik. Basically, it’s a low carb approach that limits starch, sugar, …and beer (but doesn’t eliminate it). 

I shoot for 50-100 carbs a day now that I’m in the maintenance phase. I range between 192 +/- 2 lbs. At 6’2” that’s still a bit heavy according to the BMI chart but the Dr told me not to loose anymore. He was thrilled on my last visit.

Offline Gerardo65

• Cellarman
« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2022, 06:09:03 pm »
It is a good story, about weight loss, I think the change is spectacular

Offline Skeeter686

• Cellarman
« Reply #67 on: December 23, 2022, 04:47:15 pm »
192 is a bit heavy for 6 foot 2?  I remember how skinny I was at 180... I feel I should probably get down to 200 (215 currently), but I think that's as far as I'd want to go.  My wife even says I was too skinny at 180. 

I need to check out one of these BMI charts.  Now I'm curious.

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #68 on: December 23, 2022, 05:02:59 pm »

Offline Skeeter686

• Cellarman
« Reply #69 on: December 23, 2022, 05:34:42 pm »
Thank you for posting!

I was wondering if this accounts for muscle mass or skeletal frame, and it apparently does not.  I'd personally feel happy with my weight even if the BMI charts says that I'm slightly into the "fat zone" at 200.

Now I just need to drop 15 pounds. How to do that without disrupting my beer consumption. 

Sent from my SM-X700 using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #70 on: December 23, 2022, 06:07:43 pm »
I did it by limiting carbs (potatoes, rice, bread, etc). I drank one full strength beer a day. 

I am (again) trying to learn to brew low(er) carb beers but I have been struggling to get the taste and body in the same beer. I seem to be able to get one or the other but not both. I thought Non Enzymatic Mash was the answer but I am second guessing that.

Offline AlfredJicle

• 1st Kit
-
« Reply #71 on: January 20, 2023, 10:02:22 am »
Good job  Self discipline thats one hard road . I had the pleasure of having diabetic ketoacidosis . The easy weight loss program  I went from 208 to 160 . Ive rebounded to 180 but Im no where near as strong as I was before . So I feel your pain there . Youll get it back .

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2023, 07:45:04 pm »
I am (again) trying to learn to brew low(er) carb beers but I have been struggling to get the taste and body in the same beer. I seem to be able to get one or the other but not both.

If you crack that nut, please share the secret. I have made some tasty low(er) carb/cal brews in the 2-3% range, but they're always pretty light in body.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2023, 07:48:16 pm »
I was wondering if this accounts for muscle mass or skeletal frame, and it apparently does not.

It does not -- BMI can be useful metric but it's limited.  It's a function of height and weight irrespective of body composition.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.