Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops & Vines for Wedding  (Read 2171 times)

Offline NFCTinken

• 1st Kit
Hops & Vines for Wedding
« on: March 23, 2016, 08:02:28 am »
Good morning,

I am getting married July, 16, 2016 and our theme is based on brewing. I am a home brewer, but am first starting to grow my own hops this year, so they will not even be close to ready by our wedding.

I am looking to see where I can purchase (or if someone would be willing to donate) hops and their vines for our wedding? If anyone can provide me information or point me in the right direction, that would be great. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thanks,
Justin

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Hops & Vines for Wedding
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 08:40:44 am »
Good morning,

I am getting married July, 16, 2016 and our theme is based on brewing. I am a home brewer, but am first starting to grow my own hops this year, so they will not even be close to ready by our wedding.

I am looking to see where I can purchase (or if someone would be willing to donate) hops and their vines for our wedding? If anyone can provide me information or point me in the right direction, that would be great. Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thanks,
Justin
I'm not sure where you live but where I live in New England, if I recall correctly, the hops don't flower until late July and August. There might be some immature flowers by then that look like spiky spheres but don't yet have that classic cone look. OTOH the vines tend to be very healthy looking at that time because there is a lot of new growth.
One thing about working with hops vines: they are very scratchy and you can have an allergic reaction. One time I built new trellises and got scratched a lot working with the vines and broke out in hives and had shortness of breath and had to get a steroid shot.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline NFCTinken

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 08:48:27 am »
Hi Pete B,

Thanks for the fast response. I live in Milwaukee, WI. Hmm, trying to think what options I have here. I do not want to have something that does not look good or even worse, cause an allergic reaction.

Let me know if you think of an alternative.

Thank you!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline NFCTinken

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 09:11:13 am »
Yes, it's not, but I think I need to keep all options on the table.

Thanks,
Justin

Offline bierview

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 10:09:54 am »
Good morning,

Thanks,
Justin
I'm not sure where you live but where I live in New England, if I recall correctly, the hops don't flower until late July and August. There might be some immature flowers by then that look like spiky spheres but don't yet have that classic cone look. OTOH the vines tend to be very healthy looking at that time because there is a lot of new growth.
One thing about working with hops vines: they are very scratchy and you can have an allergic reaction. One time I built new trellises and got scratched a lot working with the vines and broke out in hives and had shortness of breath and had to get a steroid shot.

That's scary.  Must be tricky picking them.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 11:00:57 am »
Good morning,

Thanks,
Justin

That's scary.  Must be tricky picking them.
Now that I know about it there's no problem. I wear nitrile gloves and long sleeves. I was really scratched up from wrestling with the bines when I had a reaction.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 09:33:07 am »
I get really itchy red streaks on my arms from the bines so I also wear gloves and long sleeves.

I'd think about the potential for unpleasant reactions from people coming in contact with the bines.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 09:42:32 am »
I get scratches, the wife gets angry raised welts that take a long time to go away. She doesn't help much with the picking due to that.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 10:38:47 am »
I get scratches, the wife gets angry raised welts . . .

That's crazy!  I also get raised welts but they seem to be very even-tempered?  The terroir thing works in mysterious ways I guess, haha!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2016, 03:57:29 pm »
I get scratches, the wife gets angry raised welts . . .

That's crazy!  I also get raised welts but they seem to be very even-tempered?  The terroir thing works in mysterious ways I guess, haha!
Maybe that was a term I learned a long time ago in a place far, far away.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline b-hoppy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2016, 11:12:08 pm »
I can definitely see 'angry' as an appropriate descriptor: http://beyondthehumaneye.blogspot.com/2011/09/hooked-on-hops.html and am glad it only took me a few times to learn the ropes!