Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Is star-san on stainless bad?  (Read 8108 times)

Offline beerdoodle

• 1st Kit
Is star-san on stainless bad?
« on: May 03, 2016, 03:58:27 am »
I'm new to home brewing and I'm still bottling, but I plan on switching to kegging in the near future. I was at a local home brew store this weekend, and while talking with the guy who works there about kegging, he mentioned that once I start using stainless that I shouldn't use star-san to sanitize because it's an acid and it will eat the metal a little and give my beer a metallic tastes. While it makes sense, I am a little suspicious. I would think that for that to happen you would have to really leave it in  the keg for a long time and use a high concentration.

Is that really an issue, especially if you are keeping the star-san in the keg for only the 2 minutes it takes to sanitize?

Is there a better product that I should check out when I switch to kegging?

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Re: Is star-san on stainless bad?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2016, 04:27:54 am »
Sounds bogus to me. I've even used star san mixed to a higher concentration than normal to passivate my stainless stuff at times.

I think he was getting star san and bleach confused. Bleach should never be used on stainless steel, it'll corrode the metal.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2016, 05:17:22 am »
+1. It's made for this. The guy was confused.

You can always call Five Star if you want to put your mind at ease. They're great about answering questions.

FWIW - After PBW and rinsing I use StarSan on my kegs and then dump out all except a gallon. Then I push that out with CO2. Then I have a sanitized, pressurized keg that can sit for a while and will remain sanitary. It's also a good opportunity to clean your keg lines and taps.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2016, 05:41:10 am »
Breweries use acids on their SS equipment. No problems.

Star San on Aluminum is another story.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2016, 07:50:22 am »
I often keep kegs filled with StarSan solution for weeks and maybe months without problems.  Concentrated acids are another story.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2016, 11:11:51 am »
Yes, do not store undiluted star san in stainless. Not sure why anyone would, but don't.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!