Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: pH woes  (Read 3150 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: pH woes
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2016, 05:45:11 am »
So, how much do I need to dry off the probe after calibration or testing?   I have been blotting of the outside with a paper towel. I like the idea of the spritzer bottle filled with distilled water.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
I never touch the probe. It is put into cleansing solution or storage solution.
I may have miss spoke.  I don't dry off the tip, or the glass part.  I have blotted off the plastic above that.  Seemed to me the rinsing water droplets left on it might affect my reading.  I am probably over complicating it.

I quickly spray down the probe and wand after every sample/calibration solution reading I take with distilled water. Then I dry off the wand with my shirt and blow off the water on the probe with a couple quick breath blasts prior to taking my next reading.

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2016, 06:13:48 am »
So, how much do I need to dry off the probe after calibration or testing?   I have been blotting of the outside with a paper towel. I like the idea of the spritzer bottle filled with distilled water.

I never touch the probe. It is put into cleansing solution or storage solution.
I may have miss spoke.  I don't dry off the tip, or the glass part.  I have blotted off the plastic above that.  Seemed to me the rinsing water droplets left on it might affect my reading.  I am probably over complicating it.

I quickly spray down the probe and wand after every sample/calibration solution reading I take with distilled water. Then I dry off the wand with my shirt and blow off the water on the probe with a couple quick breath blasts prior to taking my next reading.
Ok, that is basically what I was doing.  I'll get fresh solutions and a small spray bottle and have at it again.  Thanks!

Offline cempt1

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2016, 04:51:51 am »
Ok, recalibrated with fresh solutions and brewed a table saison.  Estimated mash pH was 5.2.  Measured was 5.06, first running was 5.23 and post boil was 5.20.  The beer was supposed to be about 5 SRM but looks darker so my some of my grains my have had higher Lovibond ratings than expected. I put in the low end of the ranges (used 1 lb of Munich malt which has a 9 to 19 L range )  this may account for some of the error.  My other thought was my collection method.  I doughed in, let it rest 10 min then skimmed my sample from the top of the MT.  Should I have stirred first?  Also what should I expect in pH changes from the start of the mash to the end and then after the boil?

FWIW I let it ride without adjustments and hit my target OG on the head.  Before I knew what I was doing, I was adding twice as much lactic acid than I did here to mashes and the beer came out good.  My efficiency has seen a huge jump since attempting to hit a proper pH.  I was 76 percent on this beer.

« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 05:00:54 am by cempt1 »

Offline jmitchell3

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2016, 10:54:53 pm »
Yeah dont touch the probe. Tap water in a glass is ok for brewday storage, then when youre done, rinse it with storage solution or distilled water, then store in recommended storage solution. Tap or distilled water or storage solution in a glass will keep the probe wet and neutral while you mash, allowing you to simply remove the probe, shake, and insert into your test liquid.  Swirl in the glass to get the probe readeing a homogeneous solution, that should work fine.  The probe should not be touched or dried at any time.  The test liquid should be cooled from mash temps to room temp.  I learned that this will extend the life of the probe as well as make one's readings more accurate.

Yeah proper ph does wonders for efficiency. Dont sweat a .1 ph discrepancy. At the end of the day thats a rounding error in the scheme of things.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk