Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oregon Brew Crew's 4th Annual Heart of Cascadia Competition  (Read 2181 times)

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
Oregon Brew Crew's 4th Annual Heart of Cascadia Competition
« on: February 11, 2016, 12:29:31 pm »
Heart of Cascadia - The Colors of IPA

Heart of Cascadia began in 2013 as a style competition focused on "Cascadian Dark Ale" and "Northwest Red Ale" - two styles who have taken root in the Pacific Northwest. This year we are doing things a little differently! We are looking for homebrewers to expand their IPA horizons and add a little color! We are embracing the new 2015 style guidelines and opening up the competition to the entire "American IPA" and Specialty IPA" category. While the standard American IPA is being accepted and judged equally, our hope is to recieve dozens of entries from all the specialty IPAs outlined below.

Black IPA (Cascadian Dark Ale): The hop character of an IPA combined with the dark color of a porter. Roast character from the dark malts can be present but much more subdued than a stout or porter, the hops still take center stage. Local examples include Deschutes Hop in the Dark, Widmer Pitch Black IPA.

Red IPA (Northwest Red Ale): Malty flavors of an American Amber blended with the hop characters of an American IPA. Deep red color from darker malts along with slight toasty or dark fruit flavors. Strong hop presence distinguishes this beer from an Amber. Local examples include Hopworks Rise Up Red, Laurelwood Red Elephant.

Brown IPA: A hoppier version of an American Brown Ale. Retains the light body and drinkability of an IPA without getting too heavy or sweet. Some fruity and toasty malt character will be present and accent the hops. Examples include Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale.

Belgian IPA: An IPA made with Belgian yeast to add fruity, spicy character. Belgian examples tend to be hoppier versions of a Tripel or Belgian Pale Ale. Examples include De Ranke XX Bitter, Stone Cali-Belgique, Piraat Triple Hop.

White IPA: An IPA brewed in the style of a hoppier Belgian Wit with the additions of wheat to the grain bill and sometimes spices and orange peel. Lighter in color and body than a traditional IPA and sometimes hazy from the wheat. Local examples include Deschutes Chainbreaker.

Rye IPA: Traditional IPA with the added dryness and spicy notes of 10-20% Rye Malt added to the base malt bill. Examples include Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye IPA.

Additionally, entrants will be required to specify session, standard or double strength on each 21B entry. Note: Imperial/Double IPAs will be accepted in 21A even though they are technically part of American Strong Ale. However they will be judged against all the standard American IPAs.

http://hoc2016.oregonbrewcrew.org

Entry deadline - April 30, 2016 - Judging May 14th, 2016

If you are interested in judging
contact competition@oregonbrewcrew.org.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Oregon Brew Crew's 4th Annual Heart of Cascadia Competition
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2016, 12:51:01 pm »
With the recent legalization, why not a green IPA?  ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2016, 02:57:10 pm »
I judged a beer at KLCC in Eugene that had some green in it.  It didn't really add or detract, which lends me to think they didn't use very much, but it was still an interesting experience.  Thankfully this person clearly stated it rather than letting it be a surprise.  It didn't have any psychoactive effects at the level they used, but that could have been a nasty surprise if someone didn't know. 

Personally I think I'd rather keep those two separate in their traditional forms, but that's just me, your mileage may vary.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 09:11:44 am »
I judged a beer at KLCC in Eugene that had some green in it.  It didn't really add or detract, which lends me to think they didn't use very much, but it was still an interesting experience.  Thankfully this person clearly stated it rather than letting it be a surprise.  It didn't have any psychoactive effects at the level they used, but that could have been a nasty surprise if someone didn't know. 

Personally I think I'd rather keep those two separate in their traditional forms, but that's just me, your mileage may vary.

I once judged a beer at that comp that was made with quinoa and coca leaf....

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 09:12:07 am »

I agree with ya.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2016, 02:15:56 pm »
I've seen Barleywine flights and Belgian flights get pretty rambunctious toward the end.  I'm not all that sure of what a whole flight of "green" beers would do to the judges.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 12:08:06 pm »
We're looking for judges and stewards for this competition.  You can register on the main website where you register your entries.  So far the entries coming in have been pretty evenly spread across the different categories so it's looking like a great mix of entries. 

Also still accepting entries! Deadline is April 30th so plenty of time to get your IPAs in!

Cheers!