Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Best size for a new kettle  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Best size for a new kettle
« on: March 16, 2016, 05:14:47 am »
With the change from electric brewing to my current batch sparge/propane burner setup, I'm in the market for a new brew kettle.

I've got a good handle of what I'm looking for, and I'm settling towards the SS brewtech kettles. Question is, what size to get?

Right now I brew 5 gallon batches, but I'm hoping to expand into 10 gallon batches soon. Would a 15 gal kettle work for both? I really don't see why it would not, but as normal I always want a second opinion.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Best size for a new kettle
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2016, 05:30:16 am »
In my opinion a 15gal kettle would work for both.  I have a 12gal one that works well for 5 gallon batches.  Lots of headroom.  The biggest consideration I have to work around is boil-off rate.  The larger surface area increases evaporation.  You can adjust for it but it can surprise you on really low humidity day.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2016, 06:10:16 am »
That's my thought. No thermometer means no "real" minimum volume, but boil off could fluctuate a little. That's no biggie.

Offline Wort-H.O.G.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Play Nice
    • Harvey's Brewhaus
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2016, 07:15:52 am »
id have to step up the size if i went to 10gal. i usually have 7.5-8gal volume going in, and boil off and trub left behind leaves me enough for the 5.5ish gals into carboy.

i've thought about it but they setup and brewing location would make lifting impossible-I'd have to rearrange and use gravity or pumps so I didn't break my back.
Ken- Chagrin Falls, OH
CPT, U.S.Army
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Harveys-Brewhaus/405092862905115

http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=The_Science_of_Mashing

Serving:        In Process:
Vienna IPA          O'Fest
Dort
Mead                 
Cider                         
Ger'merican Blonde
Amber Ale
Next:
Ger Pils
O'Fest

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 07:30:23 am »
My current plan is to use gravity. Kettle on raised burner -> therminator sitting on the ground -> 6.5 gal carboy. If I end up getting a chest freezer/conical setup I'll likely just collect cool wort in sanitized buckets, and lug those in to the fermenter.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 04:02:48 pm »
I went with a 20 gallon and have not regretted it. And set the the thermometer low enough to read a top of a 5 gallon batch. Went weldless and did all the work myself.

It would be easy to install a Blichmann thermometer on a SS Brewtech Kettle or have them do it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 04:16:11 pm »
My BK is 15 gal. The largest batch I do is 8 gal to the fermenter (sour beers, trying to limit headspace). Thats about 10 gal preboil, and its fine. I think if I added two more gallons I would have to be very vigilant at hot break, or use fermcap.

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2016, 05:05:35 pm »
I bought a 15 gallon for my mostly 5-6 gallon batches and it works nice enough that a newbie like me can't complain (new in that I really have nothing to compare it to) and o have done a 10 gallon batch in it that was over 12g pre boil, took a lot of careful watching.
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline lindak

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 05:44:12 pm »
In the last couple of years I started brewing after a 20 year hiatus.  I do 5 gallon batches in a 15 gallon Blichmann.  I do BIAB and found the kettle size to be perfect.  I boil off about 1 1/4 gallons an hour.  The thermometer is too low to help me figure my temp as I'm cooling with an immersion chiller, but that is not a big deal. (Use a thermapen to mash and don't rely on the kettle's thermometer).   I couldn't do a 10 gallon BIAB batch, but a sparged batch would be very do-able. 

Good luck with your purchase! 

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 06:45:57 pm »
So, what I'm hearing is it's great for 5-6 gallon batches, and capable (though not ideal) for some 10-gallon batches. That'll do me fine till I can spring for a dedicated kettle for 10-gallon batches.

FWIW, my current kettle is a 9-gallon bayou classic that I've had for ages. I'm familiar with the edge-of-your-seat experience of hot break with only a gallon on headroom.  8)

Offline coolman26

• Brewmaster
Best size for a new kettle
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 09:58:15 am »
My kettle is 25 gallons. I wanted the capability to brew 15 gallons finished in the kegs. I would go 20 gallons for your needs. I wish my kettle were 30 though. I like to have the extra room for boil over protection. The cost is minimal IMO. All in what is right for you. I use 20 tip NG jet burners and really like the setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jeff B