Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dry Hop saison and IPA  (Read 1510 times)

Offline rbowers

• Assistant Brewer
Dry Hop saison and IPA
« on: March 19, 2016, 06:22:28 pm »
About 8-10 months ago I brewed two large batches of saison and IPA.  3.5 gallons of each was set aside and I threw in some Brett Trois and Lambicus.  The beers have now been sitting in my basement for a long time and actually both survived a move.  I was thinking of dry hopping both to liven things up but was looking for recs on particular hops to do it with.

The saison had Perle and Saaz for bittering.
The IPA had amarillo/columbus/simcoe equally mixed through various additions.

I am betting the flavor and certainly aroma additions they were originally brewed with are pretty well muted by now.

The brett has added some different flavors at this point and some nice funk. 

I have Wakatu, Nelson, and Citra lying around.  Never used Saaz to dry hop with but may go nice with the saison.  If anyone has any thoughts on this I am all ears.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Dry Hop saison and IPA
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 09:48:14 am »
The brett plays well with fruity hops in my opinion. I have used Nelson Sauvin in a saison before with great results.  Seems to bring out some of the winey/champagne character a saison can sometimes have. So I vote Nelson with the saison. Wakatu would also work well here as well.

As for the IPA, I would add a blend of the three (wakatu, sauvin, and citra) for the IPA.  Probably would go a little lighter on the Citra though so it doesn't overpower the others. Do you have any piney, resiny/dank hops you could add to the dry hop to balance the fruitiness?  Colombus, Simcoe, or even Chinook?

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Dry Hop saison and IPA
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 09:59:22 am »
I think you should taste both of the beers and see how much of the hop character remains. You might be surprised.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing