Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: If you could have the recipe for one commercial beer...  (Read 12718 times)

trentm

If you could have the recipe for one commercial beer...
« on: March 20, 2016, 08:55:50 am »
If you could have the recipe for one commercial beer which beer would it be and why?

I'd choose the original Schlitz beer before the recipe was "lost" during the disastrous recipe and process changes made in the early 70's.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: If you could have the recipe for one commercial beer...
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2016, 09:19:58 am »
If you could have the recipe for one commercial beer which beer would it be and why?

I'd choose the original Schlitz beer before the recipe was "lost" during the disastrous recipe and process changes made in the early 70's.

That's interesting because that was the first beer to come to mind. The 1960's formula based beer is awesome.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2016, 09:23:53 am »
I wish I could make any beer as good as Firestone Walker's.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 09:34:02 am »

They shared many recipes on Can You Brew It.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 09:35:44 am »

I actually have that recipe.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 09:36:35 am »

Don't you think there's a difference between "have the recipe for" and "make a beer as good as"?  I think we'd both agree that recipe is a minor component.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2016, 09:51:38 am »
Don't you think there's a difference between "have the recipe for" and "make a beer as good as"?  I think we'd both agree that recipe is a minor component.

Exactly. The recipe is important, but the subtleties all come from the process and the large scale equipment.  For example, thermal mass during whirlpool makes a difference that cannot be duplicated at homebrew scale.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2016, 09:55:49 am »

Sure, but you can say "recipe is minor" about any food. I'm sure Emeril's recipes from his restaurants are dead on in his books, but me making it would never compare to what he or his employees make.

trentm

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2016, 12:14:00 pm »

Do tell?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2016, 12:26:16 pm »

Do tell?

Indeed, in the head brewer's handwriting.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2016, 12:31:17 pm by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

trentm

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2016, 12:43:25 pm »

Do tell?

Indeed, in the head brewer's handwriting.

Ahhh, that kind of recipe. ;)

Well just photocopy it and let the world see! or is it written in German?  Might have to get a translator.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2016, 01:53:17 pm »
Weihenstephaner Original, the how-to and the recipe. Like Denny said, the recipe is the minor component to the final beer, especially a beer of that caliber.
Jesse

trentm

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2016, 01:56:40 pm »
In modern English the definition of recipe includes process!

"a set of instructions for preparing a particular dish, including a list of the ingredients required."

https://www.google.com/#q=recipe+definition

Hopefully we've put that one to bed and can get back to the recipes!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2016, 02:07:17 pm »

"a set of instructions for preparing a particular dish, including a list of the ingredients required."

But you still have to replicate the process if you intend to make the beer the recipe is for.  That's easier said than done usually.  And when I was given the recipe, I was asked not to share it publicly.  I respect that request.

www.dennybrew.com

trentm

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2016, 02:16:09 pm »

But you still have to replicate the process if you intend to make the beer the recipe is for.  That's easier said than done usually.  And when I was given the recipe, I was asked not to share it publicly.  I respect that request.

Process replication is implicitly what recipes are all about!!

If you have the recipe for the original Schlitz beer then good on ya!  Brew it and send me a couple!

Now back to your regularly scheduled programming...