Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental Brew Writeup - 1056 vs WLP001  (Read 1888 times)

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Experimental Brew Writeup - 1056 vs WLP001
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2016, 09:39:58 am »
Anybody here surprised by the results?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2016, 09:57:53 am »
Not really. I've always liked 1056 a little better. I feel it clears a little easier and is a tad more neutral (though 001 is neutral, all in all). Good work and writeup !
Jon H.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 04:28:13 pm »
Nice experiment. From my understanding of the results, it looks that some testers explained characteristics of WYeast that other testers explained as characteristics of White Labs. The differences are minimal and basically boils down to personal preference. My preference is White Labs only because it is all that any of my local homebrew stores carry. I've only had 1056 on a couple of occasions and thought it was good. I'm also really pleased with 001 as I am with all White Lab strains that I've used.

On a totally different note, I did pay to have a couple packs of 1450 sent to me  ;) I've never used it before and am looking forward to fermenting an imperial hoppy amber with it!
Frank

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 09:50:34 am »
Good stuff.
Any plans to do the same with the dry versions?
Or any other "Identical" strains like WLP002 and Wyeast 1968 or the Scottish yeasts or Kolsch?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2016, 10:14:09 am »
Good stuff.
Or any other "Identical" strains like WLP002 and Wyeast 1968 or the Scottish yeasts or Kolsch?

Throwing US05 into the mix is under discussion.  Probably won't do any others for a while just becasue we have so many ideas to get to.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2016, 03:13:32 pm »
Good stuff.

Throwing US05 into the mix is under discussion.  Probably won't do any others for a while just becasue we have so many ideas to get to.

Normally I'm a WLP 001 user. I used S05 for my last IPA that I just kegged today. One thing that I noticed right off hand is the clarity. It seems to stay in suspension much longer than 001. My beers OG was 1.075 and cleaned out to 1.008. I don't cold crash because it seems like an unnecessary step for me. I kegged it today. It will cold crash in the keg. The first pint will be sacrificial in dumping all of the particles that were crashed out.
Frank

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2016, 03:30:04 pm »
Yeah, 05 has long been noted to take longer to clear than the others.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 03:41:51 pm »
Gelatin is pretty effective to clear US-05 beers. Of course, you may not want to do that for an IPA.

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2016, 03:47:47 pm »
Yeah. I really don't care to clear it out.  I was just stating an observation to add onto the experiment.
Frank

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2016, 03:49:10 pm »
Yeah. I really don't care to clear it out.  I was just stating an observation to add onto the experiment.

Thanks, Frank.

www.dennybrew.com