Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Gravity contributions of Raisins, Dates and Figs?  (Read 4536 times)

RPIScotty

Gravity contributions of Raisins, Dates and Figs?
« on: March 21, 2016, 11:01:21 am »
I'm working on some original Belgian-inspired recipes for a Dubbel and Dark Strong and was wondering if anyone has some insight into the preparation and gravity contribution of Raisins, Dates and Figs?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Gravity contributions of Raisins, Dates and Figs?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2016, 11:19:06 am »
Pg. 166 of Experimental Homebrewing.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2016, 11:35:07 am »
I've got real life data at home for dates, since I made a Sumerian date beer a few years ago.  Have to look it up later..........
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

RPIScotty

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2016, 11:40:57 am »
Pg. 166 of Experimental Homebrewing.

I just looked at it and I assume I can use roughly the same values from Figs and Dates for Raisins?

I've got real life data at home for dates, since I made a Sumerian date beer a few years ago.  Have to look it up later..........

Thanks Dave.

You guys are the best. I love this place.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 11:46:09 am by RPIScotty »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2016, 11:47:46 am »
Yep, that should work.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

RPIScotty

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2016, 11:54:55 am »
Yep, that should work.

Still working on the recipe and will report back when I brew it.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 08:13:15 pm »
As promised...... in my experience, dried dates will give you 26 points per pound per gallon (1.026 specific gravity).  Sorry that's all I know.  I would guess the other dried fruits should give very similar results.

EDIT: Now I'm wondering if the Experimental Homebrewing book assumes the dried fruits are sugar coated??  Hmm, my scientific mind will think on this some more............

EDIT #2: No, I'm right.  EH is wrong (sorry Denny).  Dates should give about 26 ppppg based on my experience.  The ones I used were not mashed with any malts, just crushed and added to water, then measured with hydrometer.  If mashed with malts, they would have yielded more, as carbs got converted to more sugars.

I calculate figs might be as much as 32 ppppg if mashed with malts and assuming 100% efficiency.  Otherwise assume a bit less.  Raisins the most, up to 35 ppppg, same caveat.  This is based on the nutrition information from real dried fruits in my kitchen cupboard, ratio of grams of carbs per total grams, and assuming it's all converted into sucrose, which it's actually not, but anyway, sucrose has 45 ppppg, so... you probably ain't going to ever see the 1.070s for one pound in one gallon that EH talks about, not sure how that would happen?!?!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 08:35:56 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

RPIScotty

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2016, 08:17:27 pm »
Good to know Dave.

I'm not sure how I'm going to approach this yet but it will be an original Dubbel/DSA combo with mixed base malt, date/fig/raisin/Turbinado contributions and whole leaf American hops.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2016, 08:34:32 pm »
Good to know Dave.

I'm not sure how I'm going to approach this yet but it will be an original Dubbel/DSA combo with mixed base malt, date/fig/raisin/Turbinado contributions and whole leaf American hops.

See revisions above also.

Yummy yum.  Good luck with it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 08:36:20 pm by dmtaylor »
Dave

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 09:37:17 am »
As promised...... in my experience, dried dates will give you 26 points per pound per gallon (1.026 specific gravity).  Sorry that's all I know.  I would guess the other dried fruits should give very similar results.

EDIT: Now I'm wondering if the Experimental Homebrewing book assumes the dried fruits are sugar coated??  Hmm, my scientific mind will think on this some more............

EDIT #2: No, I'm right.  EH is wrong (sorry Denny).  Dates should give about 26 ppppg based on my experience.  The ones I used were not mashed with any malts, just crushed and added to water, then measured with hydrometer.  If mashed with malts, they would have yielded more, as carbs got converted to more sugars.

I calculate figs might be as much as 32 ppppg if mashed with malts and assuming 100% efficiency.  Otherwise assume a bit less.  Raisins the most, up to 35 ppppg, same caveat.  This is based on the nutrition information from real dried fruits in my kitchen cupboard, ratio of grams of carbs per total grams, and assuming it's all converted into sucrose, which it's actually not, but anyway, sucrose has 45 ppppg, so... you probably ain't going to ever see the 1.070s for one pound in one gallon that EH talks about, not sure how that would happen?!?!

Thanks, Dave. Drew found those figures.  I'll see if I can find out where he got them.

www.dennybrew.com

RPIScotty

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2016, 10:14:21 am »

Would there be any advantages other than increased sugars if mashed?

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2016, 10:31:34 am »

Why would mashing make any difference?  And good point about straight sugar, Dave.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2016, 10:36:34 am »
Gotta say, I really like the date/fig/raisin/Turbinado idea. Personally, I would take the 'caramelize the fruit in wort, then puree' approach. I'll be curious to see how it comes out.
Jon H.

RPIScotty

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2016, 10:43:12 am »

Why would mashing make any difference?  And good point about straight sugar, Dave.

I'm not sure Denny, I was just piggy-backing on Dave's comments trying to get more info.

RPIScotty

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2016, 10:48:25 am »
Gotta say, I really like the date/fig/raisin/Turbinado idea. Personally, I would take the 'caramelize the fruit in wort, then puree' approach. I'll be curious to see how it comes out.

I'm trying to do something a bit original and different but keep in the spirit of the beers I love. 

I'm really chasing a certain flavor I got from the first Westmalle Dubbel I ever had. It looked as though it had been sitting on the shelf for ages, it was dusty, etc.

When I cracked it I got a sweet, chocolately, raisiny/figgy aroma that just knocked me out. The flavor was more of the same, much more than what you typically get with Westmalle. I really can't explain it all that great and it may have been in my mind or incorrect now that I've had so many of them.

Not that i'm restricting myself to just that.