Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Experimental SMaSH Rye malt and Willamette RESULTS  (Read 6860 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Experimental SMaSH Rye malt and Willamette RESULTS
« on: March 21, 2016, 11:14:49 pm »
So in the pursuit of experimenting as much as possible I recently brewed an all oat malt ale. Before that one has even had a chance to finish up I am about to start my next experimental batch. A SMaSH beer with 100% Weyermann Rye Malt, Galaxy hops and WLP008. The purpose of these small batch experiments is to really see how ingredients play a role in my brews. I have never used rye but I have had some delicious beers containing it. After reading around the internet 100% is difficult, but possible to do. Here is my procedure for a 1 Gallon Batch.

2lbs of Weyermann Rye Malt aiming for a OG of 1.040
Two Step mash: Beta-Glucanase Rest for 30 minutes, raised to 148F for 40 minutes.
30 IBU's of Galaxy hops added at 60 minutes, Galaxy hops added at 10 minutes and whirlpool.
WLP008 East Coast Ale yeast pitched at 66F and held there until end of fermentation.

I will probably post a more detailed description of the process once I brew it but it will probably be a week or two.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2016, 11:29:44 am by IMperry9 »
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Experimental SMaSH Rye malt and Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 05:36:13 am »
Yum.  Expect it to have a very full oily body, unique earthy bready flavor, and the most huge creamy head with the best retention you ever saw in your life.  I would recommend priming less than normal for carbonation on the low end for that reason.  Also, of course, the Galaxy hops are lovely but will also overpower some of the rye's more subtle complexities.  But it will turn out awesome overall.  Cheers.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 05:58:15 am »
Have some rice hulls on hand.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 06:13:50 am »
He's only making a tiny batch, I assume BIAB, so for that the hulls probably aren't necessary.  Otherwise, yes, they would be in a cooler mash tun!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 06:32:25 am »
For my 1 gallon batches I use a 10in. fine mesh strainer. Works pretty well, I would like to try BIAB because I never had used it before and it sounds interesting.
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 09:26:51 am »
You may not like the way a 100% rye malt beer tastes.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2016, 09:44:30 am »
Well keep us posted. Should be interesting if nothing else. I would love to try stuff like this but am pretty committed to 5 gallon batches these days which leads to less experimenting.

Will your next Experimental SMaSH be with wheat?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 10:13:00 am by goschman »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 11:12:52 am »

That's a good word of caution.  Everyone doesn't love it.  I find that in amounts as high as 40% as I have used, it gives a downright earthy, sort of muddy flavor, and muddy grayish color as well for that matter.  It's not for everyone.  But, you WILL learn a lot about its flavor if you do a SMASH, though!  I still think it's a worthy experiment.  And with Galaxy in there...... it's going to taste great I think.
Dave

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 11:32:10 am »

That's a good word of caution.  Everyone doesn't love it.  I find that in amounts as high as 40% as I have used, it gives a downright earthy, sort of muddy flavor, and muddy grayish color as well for that matter.  It's not for everyone.  But, you WILL learn a lot about its flavor if you do a SMASH, though!  I still think it's a worthy experiment.  And with Galaxy in there...... it's going to taste great I think.

I've gone as high as 60%.  I LOVE rye beers, but that was enough for me.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2016, 08:59:44 pm »

I've gone as high as 60%.  I LOVE rye beers, but that was enough for me.

All very true but worth the risk for me at a 1 Gallon level. I just really want to see what rye malt can bring to the table I think this is the best way. I originally was just going to use a clean bittering charge so there was minimal hop flavor/ distraction but I fear the beer might be boring and bland in doing so. I have never used galaxy but just reading about them makes me thirsty.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2016, 09:22:47 am »

All very true but worth the risk for me at a 1 Gallon level. I just really want to see what rye malt can bring to the table I think this is the best way. I originally was just going to use a clean bittering charge so there was minimal hop flavor/ distraction but I fear the beer might be boring and bland in doing so. I have never used galaxy but just reading about them makes me thirsty.

There might be another way to go about finding out about rye.  Brew  SMaSH beer using barley malt.  Then replace 60% of the barley with rye malt.  I guarantee you that you will know what the rye malt brings and the resulting beer will be a lot more pleasant.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2016, 09:26:31 am »
The highest I have gone with rye malt was 65% as well for a RyeWine I brewed 3 years ago. Awesome beer, but very oily and creamy even at a 1.016 FG.

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2016, 02:51:47 pm »
I think I am still going to stick with 100% rye, I understand that It could be overbearing or not a beer I prefer but that's okay with me. I am just doing this for sake of experimentation. Worst case scenario is the beer is undrinkable and it gets dumped which by that time will only be 7-8 bottles at most which I don't think will happen.
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 02:21:44 am »
Another option if you like experimenting is to repeat the brew with ordinary pale ale malt and then blend in different proportions at bottling, so some 25% rye, some 50%, some 100% etc. Twice as much work brewing though.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 10:02:38 am »
Another option if you like experimenting is to repeat the brew with ordinary pale ale malt and then blend in different proportions at bottling, so some 25% rye, some 50%, some 100% etc. Twice as much work brewing though.

I like this idea. Although I am very curious as to the character of a 100% rye beer. I know many love it, but I am not a big fan of rye - for some reason, even small amounts seems to overpower everything for my palette.