Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cherry Belgian Quad  (Read 3388 times)

Offline IMperry9

• Assistant Brewer
Cherry Belgian Quad
« on: December 20, 2016, 02:18:31 pm »
Hey everybody its me again... back with another recipe that I need some help with haha. My friend and I have been going brew crazy and decide to do a Belgian Quad and incorporate cherries some how. Here is my grain bill, how does it look?
15lbs Belgian Pilsner
.45lbs Special B
.45lbs Crystal 40
.2lbs CaraPils
2lbs Clear Belgian Candi Sugar
At my normal efficiency range aiming for OG around 1.095-1.105. My 3 biggest questions are:
1. How should I incorporate the cherries? Whole cherries in the secondary? concentrate in the boil?
2. What yeast does everyone favor?
3. As far as hop schedule goes just some bittering hops early and call it good? I was thinking Magnum or Northern Brewer?
As usual I appreciate the feedback as we will be brewing on Thursday and can't wait to get started! Prost!
A fine beer may be judged with only one sip, but it's better to be thoroughly sure.
Kegged/Bottled: N/A
Coming up:
SMaSH Rye Pale Ale
Chocolate Rye Stout
Milk Stout

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Cherry Belgian Quad
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 03:32:02 pm »
Sour dark cherries?  I would look for a puree or make one.
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 03:59:15 pm »
1.  Racking onto fruit in secondary is my preferred method. I prefer puree because it's exponentially easier to rack to keg/bottles after it ferments. No, DON'T boil the fruit.

2.  WY1762, 3787, and 3864 are all great choices. Pitch @ 62F, hold 63-64F for 3 or 4 days, then gradually warm up to room temp over a few days.

3. One 60 min addition is all you need for the style.

Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 05:29:59 pm »
1.  Racking onto fruit in secondary is my preferred method. I prefer puree because it's exponentially easier to rack to keg/bottles after it ferments. No, DON'T boil the fruit.

+1,000.

Big Monk

Cherry Belgian Quad
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 06:28:32 pm »
I don't know what color you plan on but that grain bill looks like 12 SRM max. Not sure if you want to go darker but you'll need some kind of color contribution to get that to the upper teens.

One of the recipes I've imputted into my excel sheet the other day had a mix of CaraMunich II, CaraBohemian, CaraAroma and Turbinado sugar and I only barely hit 13 SRM prior to calculating the Sinamar amount to get me to 21 SRM.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 06:30:06 pm by Big Monk »

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2016, 03:42:46 pm »
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline GS

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 04:44:34 pm »
I prefer puree because there is little to no chance of infection. Fresh fruit is difficult to sanitize. I use purees in the secondary. I also agree that one 60min hop addition is all you need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2016, 02:39:09 pm »
This year I tried Fastfruit tart cherry concentrate in my Roselare beer. Time will tell. Also tried pomegranate. Thought about raspberry but couldn't afford it

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2016, 07:46:18 pm »
This would work for you.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/cascade-beer-candi-syrup-morebeer-tart-cherry.html

It's very good.

Man, cascade candi sugar is where its at. And the guy who makes it is pretty cool as well.

Offline Kutaka

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2016, 07:34:59 am »
Suggestions-

1 pint of cherry concentrate added to the primary on day 5-7.  No secondary.  Bottle or keg a week or two later.

1# or 2# of d180 candi syrup.  If 1# then add 1# of regular sugar or turbinado.

Caramunich instead of c40
Add some Belgian Aromatic malt

2 oz of Styrian Goldings at 15 minutes