Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First time/design American IPA (RECIPE MODIFIED) 21/03/2016  (Read 2270 times)

Offline Attik

• Cellarman
First time/design American IPA (RECIPE MODIFIED) 21/03/2016
« on: March 18, 2016, 06:37:19 am »
Hi people, just wanted to show you my IPA recipe to see if it made sense and to get any advice...any recommendation on whether to do mash out or not? I'm hearing both and not know what to do!

The water and the salts are adjusted.

Thank you!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 10:02:25 am by Attik »

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: First time/design American IPA
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 07:32:23 am »
I'll be honest here. I don't like the 45 and 30 minute hop additions. Get all of the IBUs that you want at 60 minutes. I would suggest a neutral hop such as magnum or warrior, or if you'r like me and want to add an additional layer of hop flavor to it, go with Columbus. Move all of your Amarillo and Simcoe out to be utilized in the last 10 minutes of the boil. Make sure you have a heavy dose of 0 minute hops and allow for a 30 minute hop stand. You will get much more hop flavor from late hop additions. I'd mix your amarillo and simcoe in equal parts for these additions. It looks like you have a pretty solid dry hop schedule.

Some will argue the carapils. You might be fine without it considering you are using MO as a base and up your munich a tad. Either way, I don't think that it will make or break you. But the hops, for sure, I'd consider some adjustments there.

Nice start to a recipe design. I wouldn't worry about a mash out. Just run off your mash and then sparge.
Frank

Offline barliman

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 07:39:50 am »
I agree with what fmader said about moving the Amarillo and Simcoe to the end of the boil, and using Columbus as your bittering hop.
Primary: Wingfoot v.3.0 (Waimea/Pacifica), Chinook IPA
Bottled/Kegged: Best Bitter
On Deck: BVIP, Swiss Czechtoberfest

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2016, 08:00:30 am »
If time is an issue the BU differences between a 60 and 45 minute addition are minimal.

Some of my best IPA's had a single 30 minute bittering charge of 40+ BU's. Solid backbone and flavor. Then whatever additions one wants such as whirlpool and dry-hopping.

I like the Magnum and Columbus and would save the Amarillo for flavor and aroma as well. Chinook if you like that hop. But I also think your bill and schedule looks good.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Attik

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2016, 11:24:41 am »
I only have these hops available at the moment and I am brewing on Sunday. What could I do to bitter instead for 60 minutes? I'll try and look for in my local shop for columbus

Enviado desde mi LG-D855 mediante Tapatalk

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2016, 11:40:25 am »
I only have these hops available at the moment and I am brewing on Sunday. What could I do to bitter instead for 60 minutes? I'll try and look for in my local shop for columbus

If you only have amarillo or simcoe, I'd bitter with simcoe over the amarillo.
Frank

Offline Attik

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2016, 02:08:23 pm »
I could have the following available:

Saaz
Halletau
Cluster
Target
Fuggles
Cascade
Brambling cross

Any help? Maybe one of these could help..? Honestly I would like something around 60IBU but very aromatic and lovely...and I'm a bit lost in that.
Do you guys think my dry hopping will do the job?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2016, 03:19:13 pm »
Cascade and Amarillo if you like citrus.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline fmader

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2016, 05:38:23 pm »
Bitter all your IBUs with simcoe. Then divide you simcoe up and use it proportionately with your late additions and dry hops. Cascade will never hurt anything. I'd add it in the the Amarillo/ simcoe. The more hops, the merrier!
Frank

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2016, 05:49:48 pm »
Bitter all your IBUs with simcoe. Then divide you simcoe up and use it proportionately with your late additions and dry hops. Cascade will never hurt anything. I'd add it in the the Amarillo/ simcoe. The more hops, the merrier!

+1   Good advice.
Jon H.

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 03:28:51 pm »
Not a fan of MO in American ipas, particularly a pure West coast one like you have here.  It just has a weird tangy flavor that is awesome in British beers, but not my bag here.   I would go preferably rahr 2-row or briess in a pinch.  I use all Thomas fawcett Pearle but I brew Vermont inspired ipas, which are a little different than what you have. Good advice above on hopping schedule.  Cara pils won't hurt. 

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Bubblin': helles
Flowin': IIPA, Doppelbock, Flanders
Sittin': More Flanders, Braison,
Thinkin': wit, more helles

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2016, 03:33:06 pm »
Not a fan of MO in American ipas, particularly a pure West coast one like you have here.  It just has a weird tangy flavor that is awesome in British beers, but not my bag here.   I would go preferably rahr 2-row or briess in a pinch.

Agreed
Jon H.

Offline Attik

• Cellarman
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2016, 10:01:08 am »
Recipe modified with your recomendations. Changed the malt to Pale Ale instead of Maris Otter...and changed the hop addition and timing...how does it look like now?

Could I convert this into a Black IPA without too much work?
Is this going to be an aromatic fresh bomb?

Thank you very much!

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
Re: First time/design American IPA (RECIPE MODIFIED) 21/03/2016
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2016, 08:11:26 pm »
On hopping, I would honestly get rid of the 10 minute additions and do 6-8 oz of simcoe Amarillo and mosaic as a hopburst/whirlpool steep.  I personally prefer hop extract or Magnum in a pinch for bittering.  Also, I would leave the mosaics out of the dry hop.  I LOVE them as a hopburst/whirlpool addition but don't love them as pure aroma.  Simcoe/Amarillo/ahantum on the other hand, will give you a great aroma.  How/when are you dry hopping?

Go 5-10% LIGHT Munich as well.  If doing single infusion, I would mash at 152F.  Ferment temp? I don't know how that yeast behaves at all.

Offline mpietropaoli

• Brewer
Re: First time/design American IPA (RECIPE MODIFIED) 21/03/2016
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2016, 08:13:08 pm »
Bipa is a little different of an animal.  I like going more toward dank hop profile than citrus, as you have, for those.  But yes, adding some midnight wheat, black Prinz or other huskless roasted grain will get you there.