Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Biscuit Flavor  (Read 4547 times)

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
Biscuit Flavor
« on: March 22, 2016, 03:36:21 pm »
Foster's ESB was one of the first non lager beers I tried and liked. I've tried to brew an ESB with this kind of flavor but never got what I was after so I changed gears and went for an American amber.

I brewed this up late January and recently tried an early sample but still didn't get a nice biscuity flavor I was hoping for.

I'm considering trying some British base malt next time, but I'm uncertain as to how far I can take Special Roast as I figured I may have been pushing it with a pound in this last recipe.

This is what I did for a 5.25 gal batch:

7.75 lbs 2-row
1 lb Special Roast
0.5 lb carafoam
0.375 lb C 90
0.25 lb C 20
1 oz Willamette (4.5%) @ 70/21/7 mins
US-05

Any suggestions for an upfront biscuit flavor?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Biscuit Flavor
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 04:00:56 pm »
An all Maris Otter beer would give you a fair amount of biscuity flavor as is. Then you could augment that with Biscuit, Victory, or (as you mentioned) Special Roast. I would start with all Maris Otter and then 3 or 4% of one of the latter mentioned malts. If this isn't enough of that character, just increase incrementally. That ESB you mentioned must have a ton of biscuit character because I find that an all MO base generally has all the biscuit character I'm after. Good luck.

Edit -  I see now that you used 2 row as your base malt in that recipe. I'd brew that recipe with just Maris Otter and the crystal malts, to see how you like the biscuit character. Then you could use one of the malts I mentioned on the next try. You may agree that this is what you're after.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 04:11:49 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 08:32:44 pm »
For Fuller's ESB, I recommend 95 % Maris Otter,  5% carastan.  Use Fuller's yeast, and a combination of Target,  Challenger,  Northdown, for Bittering, and EKGs for finishing.  That combination should get you there

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 08:40:03 pm »
Foster's. They changed the title to Premium Ale instead of ESB.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 09:01:56 am »
Oh.  I have never noticed any biscuit flavor in any of the Foster's beers, so I can't help you.

If you want to get the cat piss flavor of Foster's, I recommend Pride of Ringwood hops.  ;)

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2016, 09:31:22 am »
So I tried another last night and found it had a very prominent biscuity flavor. I'm fairly happy but am considering a different base malt. Looking through what MoreBeer offers it seems Optic may have a more prominent bready/biscuity flavor than Maris Otter. Which would likely be better?

I'm also thinking about dropping the crystal malt for 3/4 lb of honey malt and a pinch of Midnight Wheat for color. Seems honey and biscuit would be nice! Maybe I'll even add honey at flameout. If I do I'd possibly drop the honey malt to 1/2 lb as I've typically done in my honey wheat, though I have been curious where the threshold is for that malt (5.25 gal batches).

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2016, 09:54:53 am »
AFAIK, "biscuit" in the beer sense refers to cookies (biscuits in Britain) and not something like buttermilk biscuits.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2016, 10:47:59 am »
Hmmmm... I hadn't thought of that. Some things just aren't the same thing on either side of the pond.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2016, 12:39:15 pm »
Looking through what MoreBeer offers it seems Optic may have a more prominent bready/biscuity flavor than Maris Otter. Which would likely be better?

I love optic malt, but definitely not much "biscuit" going on.  It's more along the lines of pearl malt and golden promise; kind of a mix between MO and US 2row (a less flavorful British pale malt, or a more flavorful US malt). It's a great malt; and easy substitute for US 2row in any recipe, but not very much "biscuit" going on there.

Maris Otter is probably the malt that has the most "biscuit" character of the many I've tried (usually more than I ever want in a beer).

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2016, 01:15:10 pm »
+ 1 on using MO, that's the base malt I use in my ESB and it works very well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2016, 01:16:42 pm »
"Maris Otter is probably the malt that has the most "biscuit" character of the many I've tried (usually more than I ever want in a beer)."

Now I'm wondering how an all Maris Otter beer would compare to what I have above...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2016, 01:19:55 pm »
Now I'm wondering how an all Maris Otter beer would compare to what I have above...

Do it. I think it'll be what you're after.
Jon H.

Offline stpug

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2016, 01:35:57 pm »

^^Agreed.  Do a batch with MO instead of your 2row and special roast, keep the rest the same.  Adjust on the next batch if needed.  In an ESB, MO is ideal.

Offline Pinski

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Portland, Oregon
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2016, 03:30:25 pm »

Indeed, MO & some Goldings can make a fine SMASH beer.
Steve Carper
Green Dragon Brewers
Clubs: Oregon Brew Crew & Strange Brew
BJCP Certified

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2016, 03:32:08 pm »

Indeed, MO & some Goldings can make a fine SMASH beer.

Yeah, pretty hard to find a better SMASH combo than that !
Jon H.