Author Topic: Thomas from Ireland  (Read 2281 times)

Offline irish_goat

• 1st Kit
  • Derry, Ireland
    • View Profile
    • National Homebrew Club Ireland
Thomas from Ireland
« on: March 23, 2016, 01:56:03 PM »
Hello folks,

Thomas from Derry, Ireland. Currently serving as President of the National Homebrew Club Ireland so I thought I'd come and see how things are done over in the states. We've been going since 2011, have 350+ paid up members (€10 per year), organise a national competition with 400 entries judged to BJCP guidelines and we're holding BrewCon, our annual brewing conference next month with Gordon Strong coming over as our keynote speaker.

Myself, I've been brewing around 5 years and doing all-grain for 3 and half or so. Normally I like brewing hoppy, American style pale ales but I dabble with English and Irish styles as well. Have a Rye Pale Ale on the cards for this Friday if the weather is ok.
My set up is a pretty standard cooler mash tun with an electric boil kettle, copper wort chiller and plastic fermenters. Try to use liquid yeast with a starter where possible as well. Hoping to upgrade to conical fermenters soon and hopefully sort out a fermentation fridge as well.

Offline irish_goat

• 1st Kit
  • Derry, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas from Ireland
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 02:18:25 PM »
Who Are You (please include a picture):

Home Town (City, State): Derry, Ireland
Homebrew Club: Maiden City Brewers
I've been a homebrewer since: 2011
What is your favorite style(s) to brew? APA
What style(s) will you never brew? Light lagers.
What was the first beer you ever brewed?  How did it turn out? Coopers Real Ale with centenntial dry hop. Turned out ok!
Have you ever had a homebrew mistake that turned out great? Not yet unfortunately
What is your favorite beer recipe? Basic APA with heaps of late Citra.
Are you a BJCP Judge?  If so, what is your rank and how long have you been judging? Nope.
How frequently do you brew (times/month or /year)? Average about once a month.
What is your favorite malt? Special B for the dark fruits flavours it adds to stout.
What is your favorite hop? Why? Citra, lovely when it's fresh and pungent.
Do you have a favorite or house yeast? What qualities do you like about that yeast? WLP007, great for APA.
How many medals have you won from homebrew competitions? None yet but have scored a 47 for an APA. 2nd bottle ended up gushing when it went to Best of Show though.
Do you brew alone, with friends or with someone you live with? Alone or with my brother usually.
Are you an indoor or outdoor brewer? Both!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 02:20:14 PM »
Welcome to the AHA forum Thomas
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline theDarkSide

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Derry, NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 02:20:26 PM »
Welcome from Derry....New Hampshire!

Wow...350+ members.  Do you have small clubs that meet regionally and then all get together at the Brewcon?

BTW, you abbreviation is going to confuse people (NHC)...:)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline irish_goat

• 1st Kit
  • Derry, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 02:39:46 PM »
Wow...350+ members.  Do you have small clubs that meet regionally and then all get together at the Brewcon?

We have! My local club is only in it's fledgling stage but we had 6 at our last meeting. I know there's more brewers in the area so it's just a matter of finding them and making contact.

Most clubs tend to meet once a month in a pub and if anyone has a beer for sampling they'll bring a bottle or two to share out and get feedback on. We'd also tend to have brewdays where we'd all get together and brew up a batch of beer, share bottles and put a BBQ on (if the weathers nice).

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 03:32:11 PM »
Welcome from Cedar Falls, Iowa!
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 05:08:37 PM »
Cheers to you Thomas. Lousy beer here and a couple trips to the UK is what got me started brewing back in the '70s. You've got no idea of how it cheers me to know we've now got beers good enough to be appreciated abroad. I toast the work you are doing to foster home brewing in Ireland and welcome you to a great group of fellow enthusiasts here on the forum. Look forward to hearing more of what you're up to.
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 05:49:38 PM »
Welcome aboard!

Offline HoosierBrew

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2016, 09:47:12 PM »
Welcome aboard, Thomas ! You'll be an asset here.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 01:29:56 AM »
Welcome to the forum. Give Gordon a good natured hard time for us! He used to be on here, I think life got in the way. Edit - had a visit with him at the first round NHC Indy. Show him a good time.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 01:31:52 AM by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
AHA Governing Committee
BJCP National
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline noonancm

• Cellarman
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 02:35:16 PM »
Welcome Thomas from Columbus, Ohio.

I've been following the NHC-Ireland's Forum for several years, partly because my father came from Co Clare and partly because I want to learn more about the Irish understanding of beer styles.

Between the forum and the Irish Craft Beer Show on youtube, you guys have been providing lots of insights.

As our conference has had speakers from UK and Australia, and yours having Gordon Strong, international dialogue on styles is a good thing. Perhaps one day you'll be speaking at our conference.