Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bottling from the fermentor  (Read 1222 times)

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
bottling from the fermentor
« on: March 23, 2016, 02:31:31 pm »
Does anyone have experience with this?

The bottles would be individually dosed with priming sugar (I have accurate micropipettors which makes this a simple/quick operation for a given sugar solution concentration). Then I would do a quick bottle purge on each bomber with CO2. The I would put a small amount of positive pressure via CO2 tank into the auxiliary port on the cap to the carboy to push beer out of the stainless steel siphon which is connected to tubing and a spring loaded bottle filler at the end of the tubing. No transfer to a bottling bucket. One less thing to clean and get ready and one less opportunity for O2 exposure.

Seem reasonable?

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
Re: bottling from the fermentor
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 03:23:10 pm »
I never used a bottling bucket when I bottled beers.  Always straight to the bottle from the fermenter.  You might get more sediment, but whatever.

I don't think you need to flush the bottles.  Any O2 should get scrubbed by the activity of the yeast when the bottles are carbonating.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 03:49:00 pm »
Thanks Joe. Flushing the bottles is an experiment I want to try with bottling IPA. I want to see if it makes a significant difference in terms of retaining aroma/flavor as a function of time. I tend to drink my bottled IPA young, but it'd be cool if they'd stay fresh in storage a bit longer.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 03:52:26 pm »
When I flush bottles its when I'm bottling from a keg (And when I remember to do it) I'll flush and then fill and cap immediately.  Then flush the next, etc.

Don't flush a bunch and then fill them all.  I think you lose the benefit quite quickly.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton