Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kettle Hops: Bagged vs. Loose | exBEERiment Results!  (Read 6660 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Kettle Hops: Bagged vs. Loose | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2016, 03:36:53 pm »

Wow, I've never had that issue. Mine is a 400 micron IIRC.  I boil 70 mins for most beers - the first 10 mins I skim the break foam, then add the spider and 60 min boil hops. I'm assuming that must help because I can lift the spider out and it drains slowly. All I know is that my IPAs don't lack for bitterness.

yeah - there may have been process fixes that I didn't experiment with.  in my trial and error while breaking in my new system, I settled on the hopblocker and whirlpooling, and haven't looked back since.

if anyone wants to buy my spider (either 300 or the 400) PM me.

What size kettle does it fit over?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Kettle Hops: Bagged vs. Loose | exBEERiment Results!
« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2016, 03:51:46 pm »

Wow, I've never had that issue. Mine is a 400 micron IIRC.  I boil 70 mins for most beers - the first 10 mins I skim the break foam, then add the spider and 60 min boil hops. I'm assuming that must help because I can lift the spider out and it drains slowly. All I know is that my IPAs don't lack for bitterness.

yeah - there may have been process fixes that I didn't experiment with.  in my trial and error while breaking in my new system, I settled on the hopblocker and whirlpooling, and haven't looked back since.

if anyone wants to buy my spider (either 300 or the 400) PM me.

What size kettle does it fit over?

I assume it has telescoping legs to fit most pots, if it's similar to what I have. And my pot is a 10 gallon SS.
Jon H.