Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: PB2  (Read 8400 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
PB2
« on: March 05, 2016, 12:10:41 pm »
Picked up a jar of this today at the store. Anyone used it? Can you dose finished beer with this, or is it something put in at another time?

Think it would be ok in a mild?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: PB2
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 01:04:28 pm »
Give it a Google. I know lots of people that have used it. They add it near flameout after mixing it in well with some wort in a separate pot

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 01:35:00 pm »
Give it a Google. I know lots of people that have used it. They add it near flameout after mixing it in well with some wort in a separate pot

Yes, this seems to work the best as it is fairly difficult to fully dissolve.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2016, 06:12:02 pm »
I find peanut butter beers utterly disgusting. They smell like ... wet peanut butter. Just don't do it. ;)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2016, 06:31:39 pm »

I find peanut butter beers utterly disgusting. They smell like ... wet peanut butter. Just don't do it. ;)
I'm with you, but people flip for them.

Offline Footballandhops

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2016, 06:52:58 pm »
A local brewery in my town makes an peanut butter oatmeal porter that everyone around here loves, I spoke with the head Brewer and they transfer the beer onto pb2 in a "secondary tank" after primary ferment is done and leave it for a month
Batch Sparging Bottle Dreggggg Harvesting Son-ova Biznatch Raging Against the Machine

https://itun.es/us/PN5dq?i=269457903

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2016, 11:26:22 am »
Interesting.  The last one I had, my buddy brewed as a pilot batch for a small brewpub he was working for.  The finished product lost its head very quickly, assumingly from the PB2.

Offline moodyflyboy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 09:06:16 am »
Here at Young Man Old Man Brewing (YMOM)  we did a Peanut Butter Porter using PB2 as one of our first all grain brewing sessions.  We used this recipe as the basis for our brew.

http://simplybeer.com/2010/12/09/homebrew-peanut-butter-porter-version-2/

We found that we needed in addition to get good flavor we needed to add it to the secondary also.  It was really easy to use.  We had to use quite a bit to get good peanut butter flavor.  Sam's club has a large jar for a much better price. 

We mixed with wort for both the additions.  The beer tasted great!  Good Luck :)

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2016, 11:25:18 am »
A friend of mine has tried various types of peanut additions including PB2, and was never satisfied until he found a peanut extract.  He now swears by the extract.  Not sure where he found it, probably can be Googled but he did say that he found it online someplace.  FYI.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline ethinson

• Brewmaster
  • Why is the beer always gone?
    • River Pirate Brewing Co.
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 12:28:18 pm »
Interesting.  The last one I had, my buddy brewed as a pilot batch for a small brewpub he was working for.  The finished product lost its head very quickly, assumingly from the PB2.

PB2 is defatted peanut flour, essentially what is left after extracting peanut oil, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's still enough oil left in it to effect head retention.

As a food scientist, I hate this stuff (in beer or other wise) because they claim you just mix it without water, but without the oil it's just NOT peanut butter.. in a legal labeling sense or an organoleptic sense, but that's just me.  Some people swear by it as a low fat PB alternative.  It's also ungodly expensive for what is essentially a waste product.

I've had a couple of peanut butter beers and they are interesting, but gimmicky.  Not the kind of thing you could drink several pints of (IMHO).  Belching Beaver makes a chocolate peanut butter beer that was pretty interesting, but it was a 3 oz sample at a stout festival, so again just the novelty of taking two sips like "Oh, that's pretty interesting" don't think I could or would drink a lot of it.
SE Portland - AKA Beervana
Captain and Chief Deck Swabber - River Pirate Brewing Co.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
2015 Oregon Brew Crew Member of the Year

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 01:48:55 pm »
I've used PB2 in my smoothies in the morning to change up the flavor, I guess it would work fine in beer.

but it was a 3 oz sample at a stout festival, so again just the novelty of taking two sips like "Oh, that's pretty interesting" don't think I could or would drink a lot of it.

that's kind of my feeling on a lot of what is coming out now - yes, the beer has the flavor of the ingredients you put in it, and no, I don't want more than the 3oz pour that is already in my glass.

The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline case thrower

• Assistant Brewer
  • NE Ohio
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2016, 07:20:01 am »
I've got a recipe for a peanut butter porter that called for natural peanut butter and I never really could taste the peanut butter.  I tried the recipe again not too long ago and tried something similar to PB2 in a proportion that was equal to the amount of natural peanut butter called for in the original recipe.  Still didn't taste any peanut butter.  It was a nice porter, very smooth and creamy.  The recipe I used called for the peanut butter to be added half way thru the boil and the smell at that point was fantastic.  If I do it again, I will definitely increase the peanut butter powder.  Only downside, as soon as i finished the pour, the head disappeared.

Hoppin' Frog in Akron, Ohio makes a Peanut Butter Porter with a Coffee Infusion.  An excellent beer!  The peanut butter and coffee are in just the right proportion.
Dave C.

Woke up this mornin' and I got myself a beer.
The future's uncertain and the end is always near.