Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Cold Crash Question  (Read 1954 times)

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Cold Crash Question
« on: March 24, 2016, 05:37:28 am »
When cold crashing I typically remove my airlock from the Speidel and cover w. foil. Would it better to just dump the sanitizer and keep the airlock in an effort to keep more oxygen out?

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Cold Crash Question
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2016, 07:50:42 am »
An airlock without liquid is just a hole, same as the foil.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 08:46:34 am by Stevie »

Offline flbrewer

• Brewmaster General
Re: Cold Crash Question
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2016, 08:41:08 am »

An airlock without liquid is just a hole, some as the foil.
damn you for pointing out the obvious.

Online pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2016, 08:58:25 am »
An airlock without liquid is just a hole

This answer is an instant classic!
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Hooper

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 11:15:33 am »
If you were to look up and read about Pasteur's flasks, you might come to the conclusion that the the S shaped air lock is not quite a "hole"...You might also surmise that it gives no better protection than foil...but both would give better protection than a hole. I think maybe a piece of cotton in the open end of the airlock might help keep airborne particles out of your fermenter.
“Stay with the beer. Beer is continuous blood. A continuous lover.”
—   Charles Bukowski

Offline Stevie

Cold Crash Question
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 11:20:57 am »
If you were to look up and read about Pasteur's flasks, you might come to the conclusion that the the S shaped air lock is not quite a "hole"...You might also surmise that it gives no better protection than foil...but both would give better protection than a hole. I think maybe a piece of cotton in the open end of the airlock might help keep airborne particles out of your fermenter.
Correct as far as contaminates go, but they all work the same when it comes to incoming air. An empty 3-piece airlock would work fine too.

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 12:58:20 pm »
when I cold crash, I replace the airlock bung with a solid bung.  if you get a good seal, it also lessens your oxidation risk as you cool down, due to the vacuum. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2016, 05:32:33 pm »
 I have never thought about all this. I just keep the bubbler on with starsan in it. Does it help to just plug it up? I would think that air couldn't get into the carboy with a bubbler on it.

Offline JT

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Bloatarian Brewing League - Cincinnati, OH
    • Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2016, 09:55:38 pm »
IMO it has been a non-issue.  I cold crash in the same place I fermented, I'm not sloshing the beer around, so while oxygen may be getting into the fermenter, I don't think it's mixing much with the beer.  I guess if I get "oxydation" feedback from the Spring Swap or from my brew club, I'll take a harder look at it, but for now: no oxydation notes and no worries.
If I'm using a 3 piece airlock, I simply remove the inside water lock, and cover the lid with a bit of foil.  If I'm using an S-lock, I just crash it in place.